Saturday, August 12, 2006

Hell has a horse farm................................

And this is where the race began and ended. The first three and a half miles was ran on deserted dirt roads (one of them named Angels pass) and it was the first race I ran where there wasn't a need for someone to stop traffic for the runners. Not many cars in Hell I guess.

It was perfect weather for running, cool with low humidity, and there were around fifteen hundred people participating. The course was hilly, and as you would crest the top of a hill you could see a solid mass of color moving forward. It was pretty cool thing to be a part of.

I felt really good running this morning and kept up my pace, even with all the hills. My goal was to do the 4.8 miles in fifty to fifty-five minutes. I came in with the clock saying fifty-two something, but I didn't cross the start line until well after the first minute so we shall see when they post chip times. My oldest and her friend were suprised to see me coming around the bend, and amazed at my kick. When we did the trail race, our "coach" read us this poem that talked about the fact that you for all the effort you put into reaching your goals, you should always strive to finish strong. That has become our group chant.

As I rounded the corner, to complete the last fifty or so yards, I was chanting "FINISH STRONG" and the lady beside me joined in. So I said to her, "Let's go" and we flew to the finish line with the crowd cheering on our efforts, to cross together; two strangers connected through a mutual goal.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats Patty, I'm so proud of you! There is a new song out there by Rodney Aidkens(?) called Going Thru Hell(?) and I love it. It says 'If your going thru hell, keep on going, don't look back, if your scared don't show it, you might get out before the devil even knows your there.' This would be a good song for your mp3 player. Love Diana

Patty said...

Didn't have to be scared of this devil yesterday. He was positioned at mile marker #3 and was giving out redhots! Thanks for the heads up on the song.

Anonymous said...

That is the very song I was telling you about hearing on the way to your house in the morning before the race!! (Other Right Arm)

Jenna said...

Good for you! You should be very proud of yourself!

Patty said...

Jenna,

Can't wait to read about your first walk race! Hang with us long enough, you'll get the bug.