Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Wishin for a rubber stamp.....................

That I could put my signature on for all the paperwork that is coming home aready from the school. The first official day is not until September fourth.

Cross country started yesterday, and I am already out a hundred and twenty bucks. In our district they managed to get "pay to play" voted in. This means that I have to pay a fee for my daughter to participate in a sport. I would have no problem with this except for one thing, two things really. The first is that the athletic budget already far exceeds the drama or other artistic type activities. In addition, when (if actually, I really don't go to watch her run. I wouldn't mind cross country, but track forget it. The darn meets last ALL day and your kids runs maybe three minutes of that time, of course once in the beginning and then once you never know when so you have to hang around the whole time. I can handle the bad mother looks I get from other parents, as my kid is okay with the fact that I choose not to go.) they have home meets, people are charged like eight bucks to get into the events, even parents. Don't you think they could at least let parents in to watch their kid participate? No, can't do that, we have to use that money to spend a hundred thousand dollars a year on an athletic director, who earns his money by sitting around thinking up ways to get parents to pay more fees and then how to get the millage increased so we can have a second gym, just for varsity practice. Maybe, if we had a school with several thousand kids in it, but this is small town USA, and what we have is just fine.
Okay! So I still have issues with the way the public school spends my tax dollars. I am always sure to vote at every election so I get to bitch about things as much as I want.

But seriously, wouldn't it be great if you could stamp your signature as many times as you have to sign on the dotted line at the beginning of the school year. This year I discovered two new things. The first is according to the "No child left behind initiative" (at least in high school) your child's name must be given to the military recruiters UNLESS you put it in writing WITHIN THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF SCHOOL that you do not want their name released. If anyone reading this sees the wisdom in this one, please share with me. I get enough junk mail and junk phone calls without having recruiters calling the house. They have (way to many in my opinion) great comercials and I would bet money that every kid in public school watches television and sees those commercials and could figure out how to find an office to sign up in without having the public school release their name. I also know for a fact that recruiters hang out at malls and talk to kids and give them gifts and lots of promises to get them to sign up. That is enough exposure for me thank you very much.

I also said no to some other list (that they supposedly watch very carefully) of companies that they give students names out to, unless they get my specific permission every time they want to release her name. If she scored points for her team and they want to put her name in the paper fine. If they want her to participate in a marketing project, forget it.

There is one bright light in all of this. Now that she has her own check book, I have made one mass deposit, and she can just write her own checks out as she needs them thoughout the year. Once April gets here, she can sign everything for herself. I am really looking forward to that. I ask her if she would go to back to school night in my place, telling people that she lost a ton of weight and had a face job, (To which they would say.............. "Man! I need the name of your doctor, because I have never seen anyone look that much younger after surgery!") but she didn't think we could pull it off. Now I am trying to decide if I just skip it, or go and have fun by asking my standard questions like, "Do you plan on grading and checking for poor grammer this year," so that I can hear one of my all time favorite cop-outs. "OH! I couldn't do that. It might hurt the child's self esteem if I criticize their work. We don't want to stiffle their creativity now do we?" No I guess not. It is much better to wait until they get to college thinking that they are good writers, only to have their first college professor rip their paper to shreads, and tell them they need to take a basic english course.

Man! I had no idea I had this much agression inside of me this morning. I guess better to take it out on the blog than kick the dog right? I am thinking of getting one of those little ticker things that I see on other people's blogs and count down the days until graduation. Do you think it will help?

7 comments:

maynard said...

A thought on the "play to pay". I played sports in school and was very good at them, in a school that used a millage for its funding. I would not mind paying as long as I go to play as much as the rest of the people on the team. We all know that in high school it is not about fair play it is about winning, not everyone gets to play all the time.

Patty said...

You are exactly right, and in our system, you pay the same eighty dollar fee if you play every game or if you play five minutes total the entire system. At least in track and cross country, all the students participate, and then the top so many score for the team.

When my oldest was in school she also played basketball, and gave it everything she had. Because her coach thought the younger players were "better" after all her effort and dedication to the team for four years, my oldest played about ten minutes her entire senior year. Yes! I guess I am still bitter about that. She went on to play at a small college, so she couldn't have been that bad right? Thanks for reminding me about that, it supports my anger at the system. I am glad to know I am not the only one that wishes things were different.

Sheri said...

Here our school corporation has something called "green cards". They are information cards that go everywhere! Unfortunately you have to fill out 6-12 or them depending on your child's schedule. It sucks! I always say I want to get a rubber stamp made of a filled out green card.

Enjoy your blog! Keep posting!

Rajesh &Shankari said...

oh man oh man..that is too much..to pay 8 dollars to watch your own child play..You are totally justified in beiing pissed at them

Patty said...

Okay Sheri! You win this one. Sounds to me that green cards suck more than what I had to fill out. And then if you have more than one kid...... No more compliants from me. I'll just make (my) Mister fill them out. He has the patience for it.

Shankari,

Justified or not, tis what it is, and the school board has control. Not to scare you, but it will probably be worse by the time you have little ones and they grow up to school age.

So Julia,
If it is estrogen then it's okay? Sounds good to me. How did the move go? Be sure and take care of yourself and don't over-do.

I can so picture you as a sprinter! I would ask how you kept your muscles warmed up between races, but one of the girls in our group was a sprinter in school, and she is the only one of us that NEVER warms up before the race starts. Plus it is warm where you grew up. Our kids often run in snow and/or rain in the spring and fall.

And just for the record....... I don't have any problem with someone wanting to go into the military. Heck, I value my freedom, and know that is part of how I get to keep it. My problem is tying it to the no child left behind legislation (did you know that?) and I try and cut down on phone calls where I can as an average number of daily calls at my house is in the teens. If I didn't have a business I wouldn't have a phone.

Anonymous said...

my nephew kind of got hooked when the army recruiters talked to him abt citizenship etc..really sad. It shd come from the heart that you want to protect your country and not be because a carrot is being dangled on a high rope

Patty said...

Welcome Anonymous,

The part of this that is sad (and scary) to me, is that the recruiters are targeting lower income kids that already seem to have limited choices, kids that are not college material. Rather than boost them up and prepare them for the real thing, the recruiters tell them what they want to hear, that their lives will improve dramatically, just so the recruiter can get his numbers in. Once the kids sign on the dotted line, they are in whether it turns out to be better for their lives or not. So now the potential is there that we have a lot of angry soldiers carrying weapons. I think they call that friendly fire.