Sunday, August 06, 2006

What's wrong with being a "One Hit Wonder?"....................

I have this "Book of Lists," and while looking at it came accross a list titled "20 U.S. One Hit Wonders." Some of the tunes include: Debbie Boone - You Light Up My Life (1977), The Lemon Pipers - Greene Tamborine, (1968), and Tony Basil - Mickie (1982). My question to you: "Is being a 'One Hit Wonder' as bad a thing as it sounds?"

These days it seems like once a person succeeds at something the message is "Get back out there and do it again...... Bigger, and better than ou just did it." We don't seem to take any time to simply enjoy our success, but negate it by rushing out to replicate, or improve upon it.

One REALLY (REALLY) stupid example........... I have a computer game that I play when I am too brain dead to do anything else, but need to stay awake. As we all know, the reason we play a computer game is to win. What do I do when I win? Push start and try and win it again. I can't tell you how many times I have ask myself why I waste my time playing the game, as when I win I just set out to win again.

As I said, the above is a really stupid/simplistic example, but isn't this what we do in a lot of areas of our lives? We start our career at the bottom, and scratch and claw our way to recognition/raise/promotion. When we get that promotion, do we even take time to celebrate our success before jumping back in to get the next raise/promotion/bit of recognition?

Lots of times we do this with things as well. We work hard, and use that money to buy a long list of wants. Funny how after we have the things on the list, our list simply grows longer with other wants. Or better yet, we get what we want BEFORE we earn the money, and then find ourselves working to pay off things that we sometimes don't even have anymore.

I believe society feeds into this with continually new and improved "whatever." Don't get me wrong....... We should be striving to improve, modern medicine is one case in point. The way the medical comunity has learned to heal people, and extend one's life, is a good thing indeed. All I am wondering is what we are loosing by having our entire focus placed in the direction of better and better?

I think that a first really good step is for each of us to take the time to define what success means to us. This might mean public recognition, finishing something you started, or winning an argument. Maybe your definition of success is getting out of bed in the morning, or making through the day until the time you can crawl back under the covers. Maybe it is something totally different. I don't think it matters much what it is, just that we recognize it when we achieve it.

Once we recognize "A" success, ( as in "one"........ As hopefully we will experience a wide varity of successes in our lives) don't dimish it simply because someone else has done something simular, bigger, or better than you have. Take time to pat yourself on the back. Really enjoy the "feeling" of success, and commit it to memory. This way you can replay that memory when you are going through a "not so successful time in your life." Recalling past successes is a great way to pick yourself up and try something you find hard a second, third, or a hundredth time. By celebrating the little successes, we are preparing for the bigger ones.

So....... One hit wonder or not.......... I am glad that Debbie had a hit with "You Light Up My Life." Cheesy song or not, it has a good message, and is exactly how I feel about all of you blog friends out there. Thank you for your love, support, and dedication to me and my blog!

2 comments:

Has to be me said...

Good point Patty. The comp games arent applicable 2 me cos i seldom find time! But the point on promotions etc r quite true. Thats probably more to the with fast paced life we all have. Also most of us know that we need to take time off for the same. But then that doesnt seem to happen. Why?

Patty said...

Good point Julia!

Has to be me, you are right about the fact that we live a face paced life, always trying to cram things in. Maybe this is where we start taking back control of our lives and JUST STOP IT! (the opposite of JUST DO IT!)

I have heard that the French are really great about taking vacations and leading a more relaxed life. Any Frenchies out there that can confirm or deny this?