Tuesday, January 17, 2006

If at first you dont succeed...... Try, try again!

I gave my husband some art work for Christmas (because I would NEVER spend that kind of money on myself), and in order to have a place to hang it, I needed to take down what was on the wall, and patch (and paint) the holes to ready the wall for the new paintings. Sounds simple right?

When we re-did our home to ready it for the business, we painted three of the rooms in subtle shades of the same green (what was I thinking?). I opened one of the cans and rolled the paint on the wall as I tried to recall if paint dries darker or lighter (it has been three years since I last painted, and since it is not one of my favorite activities I must have blocked it out). Well, if that isn't the right color, this one must be it. Okay, I now know that paint dries darker.... On to paint color number three......a perfect match (I guess not bothering to label the cans when I knew what went where is my idea of living on the edge). I promise that I am going to plan better before I pick up the hammer to hang the pictures....... I AM learning, really I am (one of the three cans in now labeled).

As I am learning, I am trying to expand those lessons to all the areas in my life. Often, I end up taking one step forward, and two back. Yesterday, I was talking about "always checking the gauge", and this morning I jumped right into painting without any pre-planning or checking. I managed to muddle through (thank you angels), and I will preceed with more care through the rest of the project.

I would benefit, if I applied this "painting" lesson to my eating habits. I know that it is better for me (and my body likes it better), when I consume most of my calories early in the day. In spite of this knowledge, nearly every day it is a fight to force myself to eat in the morning, even though I have proven to myself over and over that not eating in the morning is a guarantee that I will be eating in bed that evening. I have spent lots of time making excuses as to why I can't manage to eat early in the day, but those excuses are not helping me reach my goals of being at a healthy weight and keeping my word to myself. I am hoping that by saying this "out loud" (in this blog), I will have the same results as I did when I "confessed" to eating when bored. Believe me..... You will be the first to know (how it worked).

No comments: