Friday, January 20, 2006

Counting my blessings....... I am a very lucky girl!

I went to my NIA class, which is a movement form of exercise. I (think I) have put a link to their site so you can check it out for yourself. Anyway,during one of the moves (reaching out with purpose and intent), the instuctor gave us the instuction to take what we needed (metaphorically speaking). When she said this, what came to my mind was sleep! This got me thinking today, that if lack of sleep is the biggest worry I have, things must be pretty good... and I began to count my blessings.

Some of the things I am thankful for everyday (I spend with those around me)include: being able get up and walk without even thinking about it. I can bend over and pick up something if I drop it, and when I do bend over I can straighten up without falling over. I have teeth to chew any food I want to eat, I can see to read, and hear to carry on a conversation. When I read/hear basic directions (most of the time)I can understand and follow them without frustation or difficulty. These are things that most of us take for granted, as I did before I entered into my current line of work.

Next time you bite into a thick juicy steak (or a big juicy apple for those of us that prefer fruits and veggies to meat), think about having to have it ground up before you eat it. You probably wouldn't enjoy it as much, but you would have to choke it down somehow, knowing you have to eat to stay alive.

Next time you are having a rousing debate with someone, imagine only hearing every third word they were saying, or imagine that you needed an extra thirty seconds to figure out what he/she said, but as you were doing so, they kept firing new thoughts at you until you had no idea what they were saying, let alone how to respond to WHAT they were saying. I doubt it would be very long before you were opting out of debates, and maybe even turning down social engagements because it was so difficult and embarressing to ask people to repeat themselves over and over.

When I was doing homecare therapy, I can't tell you how many times I made phone calls for my clients, because they couldn't understand/manage the automated phone systems. I wish our legislators would come up with a law that makes it so at least doctors offices would HAVE to have a person answer the phone instead of a machine. I wonder how many of our seniors could have avoided a 911 call, translating into a trip to the hospital and lots of tests; because they couldn't get their needs conveyed to their health care provider?

If you have an elderly relative and/or neighbor, spend some time with them and note if they are having any difficulties managing their world. Many people could stay in their homes (and retain their dignity and independance) longer if they had a helping hand now and then. If you see a driveway that is filled with snow (if you live in a cold weather state like I do) a couple of days after a storm, dig it out. It is good exercise, and you never know when an emergancy vehicle will need the access. Our world will become a better place one kindness at a time.

Take sometime today to count all of your blessings, and to think about how you could be a blessing to someone else. You will love the way it makes you feel.

By the way..... (from yesterdays blog) I recieved an e-mail today informing me that my phone bill was available for veiwing and paying, proving that one department doesn't know what the other is doing. The money has been taken out of my checking account though, so the bill has been paid, and it is all good (and behind me). Thanks for the empathy, it DOES make a difference.

No comments: