Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Friendships...............................

In one of her current posts,Maria was talking about the diversity of the friends in her life and ask about her reader's friends. Rather than fill up her comment section I decided to write a post about my friends...

If I had to do so in one thought, I would say my friends are patient, loyal, and true, because I rarely (if ever) see or do anything with them and yet I know that they would coming running in a minute if I needed them. The one thing that I thought would be easy when I started this business was finding people that wanted to work for me. Turns out this was the hardest thing of all. If I do have a fill-in caregiver, it creates a bunch of extra planning for me as I am really picky that things be done in a consistent fashion to how I would do them. Like when you have infants/toddlers, most of the time it isn't worth it just to go out to lunch (NOT a big fan of eating out so maybe this colors things a bit).

All of my friends have been VERY understanding of this, and keep me in the loop as to group happenings, and I am very appreciative of this.

The other group of friends that have become uber important to me is my blog family. Besides Random, I have not met a one of you, and yet I laugh, cry, and rejoice with you as I read about your life adventures. I honestly don't think a face-to-face meeting would make me feel closer to you then I already do.

If I had to pick BFF, I would have to list my kids and Mister. Maybe, because these are the people I continue to see on a regular basis (they have no where to run and hide), but mostly because we have a truly genuine good time when we are together. I am blessed.

That is a description of my friends in a nutshell. As to the demographics that Maria discussed in her post (taking out my blog family for the moment), well over half of my (small) circle of friends are much older than me (from five to fifty plus years if you count all of my former home care patients that I still keep in touch with). Ninety plus percent of them are or have been married, leaving less than ten percent same sex preference or in a same sex committed relationship. If any of my friends are Republicans OR prejudice they hide it well out of respect for our relationship.

I think where my group of friends are the most diverse is in regards to religion. We range from VERY involved in organized religion to no belief in a higher power of any kind. Each of these views is respected and had no bearing on the friendships in the least.

The other way my group of friends is diverse is in regards to our talents. We each seem to excel in a talent (music, art, computer skills, etc...) that makes a really awesome collective group of supports. Does it surprise anyone that my talent is telling it like it is, and speaking up for a group cause? My secondary talent has to do with advice regarding shoes as an accessory, but since this is a post about my friends and not me I won't elaborate.

Passing on the question, what about your friends?

4 comments:

Nancy said...

:D I often think about meeting you. I know we will at some point!

Patty said...

You're right Nancy,

And since one of my goals is to complete a half-marathon in every state (a much more friendly distance than a full) it might just be when I am running through a part of your state.

Either that or some good ole NY City shopping.

Anonymous said...

Great post. I think about this subject often. Also the matter of friends vs family, and what they all mean to me etc.
I shall contemplate a post about this in the near future.
In any case I thank you for being my friend. One of the things I've learned in the last few years is that you don't need to be physically present in someone's life in order to be a great friend.

Patty said...

You are very welcome Dee, and P.S. I LOVE to brag about my "London friend that has the BEST forwards ever!"