Friday, April 04, 2008

I got the exclusive!.....................................

Yesterday the phone rang, and it was an advertising firm offering me EXCLUSIVITY if I signed on to be one of eight companies advertised on a handout to be in the businesses up town with the high school football schedule on it.

I do very little purchased advertising since most of residents make it to us by word of mouth. I wouldn't put my loved one in a home from a list of yellow pages ads so I don't advertise in the phone book. Regardless, I opted to listen to the sales pitch and see if I felt compelled to purchase.

As he was going through the script, I could not suppress a giggle every time he used the word "exclusive." I finally had to stop him and ask why this was such a big deal, and why I would want it. Giving the guy lots of credit, he didn't miss a beat but just went into how that very morning a real estate business said the ONLY way he would sign up is if exclusiveness was guaranteed.

"Wow!" I said, and then: I really feel sorry for that person because he doesn't get that there is abundance in the Universe and there is really enough of everything to go around for everyone. In my experience the more we try to hang onto a little, the more that little dwindles and then we allow the fear to take over.

The poor boy! I think he said something like, "that is a good point, but many people like the idea of being the only one on the listing so we mention it." Just to show him how much I believe in putting stuff out in the Universe to keep things stimulated, I bought the ad.

So, after he finished his job, his manager had to go over things with me again. When we got to the "exclusive" part for the final time I was trying to tell him that I am an adult foster care, but I also provide respite and hospice services. He says, "Tell you what? We'll just give you anything close to any of those categories. How's that sound?" I was too polite to tell him I didn't care about any of it, so I just said, "fine," and we wrapped things up.

Please share your ideas with me about areas of your life and when you feel having an exclusive contract is required or why not? I only have one in my life and that is this little expectation that (my) Mister is intimate with me and me alone since he signed the marriage contract.

I will admit that the last time my youngest went shoe shopping without me I was jealous and thought about making that activity an exclusive between her and I, but as long as she is willing to share what she gets I can let this one slide. For now anyway...

2 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

Same! I would not expect my hairdresser to be exclusive only to me why would I expect an ad to be. Personally the whole "exclusive" thing is bullshit advertising skeems to make the recipient feel a sense of worth that is not actually present.

Patty said...

AMEN sister T!

Person, place, or thing, worth comes from the same place, inside.