Thursday, April 10, 2008

De-cluttering...........................

Our fifteen yard dumpster arrived yesterday, and I was almost as excited as Christmas morning. Since the beginning of the year I have been trying to clear the clutter out of my life and this will help a lot. Not to mention that currently I have an old toilet and sink adorning the area beside the garage.

I moved into my current home about 18 years ago on a Saturday. The next day my friend, her boyfriend, and her three children moved into my basement because they needed a place to stay. There was a shower in the basement, but not stool or sink. Shortly after they moved in I discovered that that boys were peeing in the shower (gross but true) instead of coming upstairs to use the facilities. I needed a bathroom downstairs fast. At that exact time my neighbor was re-doing his bathroom and I noted the toilet, sink, and medicine cabinet outside. After inquiring what his plans were for them they became mine and have served me well all these years, and deserve to be retired.

The other thing we did shortly after moving in was to build a big tree house. It too was past it's prime and needed to come down. We are taking the wood that can be saved to Habitat for Humanity but the rest will be dumped. Now that it is down, I can see my pond from every (back) room of my house. I LOVE IT!

And then there is the attic. (my) Mister's personal nightmare. I want our construction friend to move a couple of lights in the kitchen and when I told (my) Mister this he got all defensive and said there was no reason to move the lights. After we talked it came out that he didn't want the work done because he didn't want to have to move all the junk in the attic that would need to be moved before the work could be done. We will give away as much as we can before trashing it, but it is a fact that some things just plain wear out and need to be thrown away.

I totally get that I can be a hard person to live with, and plan to nominate (my) Mister for sainthood upon his death. Here is the latest reason why...

The other day when I borrowed his truck I discovered all the junk that he "promised" to get rid of hanging out in the bed of the truck. When we were "discussing" what could be passed on from the attic and what would need to be trashed I brought up the truck contents and told him how it was bad Feng Shui to keep it around (and went on to inquire why he lets stuff pile up in the first place, blah, blah, blah).

The next day he says to me, "I heard what you said about the bad Feng Shui so I took a bunch of that stuff to Goodwill and took the returnable bottles back to the store and got you five dollars for your vacation jar. The rest of it is in the dumpster." Told you he would qualify for Sainthood!

Enjoy your weekend...

2 comments:

Maria said...

Bing and I often shop at Habitat for Humanity shops when we need a new fixture. They get so many and have more than they need from time to time, so they keep their donated extras in a storeroom and sell it dirt cheap. We got the most amazing pedestal sink for our master bathroom there...for 40 bucks.

Bing is a pack rat too. It drives me insane and I am not nearly as logical and even minded as you seem to be with your spouse....

Patty said...

Logical and even-minded with my spouse Maria???

What do you think the blah, blah, blah, stands for? I just choose to spare my readers the details of the misery, I mean logic, that I can bestow on (my) Mister from time to time.