Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sharing a feeling..................................

In the past three weeks, we have had two new residents move in. The first came to us by way of regular circumstances. I "need" to talk about resident two, but first I have to clarify that what I am going to say are just MY FEELINGS. NOTHING is substantiated, and I am not looking into doing so. This is more of a gut feeling, and maybe a bit educational if any of you have loved one in this stage of life.

A received a call last Thursday inquiring about our place; did we have opening, the rate, yada, yada. I ask the son for some more specifics about his mom and he told me she had been living at a place that as far as I knew has a good reputation in the area, and was quite nice (in the scheme of some of the places out there). He went on to tell me that he felt his mom wasn't receiving good care. For example, she had "lost" her toothbrush and it was a month before they informed him about it so that he could replace it, and when he visited it appeared that her hair was not being combed. Then they raised their rates (to almost five thousand dollars a month), and he felt he was doing his mother a disservice by spending her money for care he felt was lacking. He took her home to live with him and his wife.

He came for a tour that day, and moved his mother in Easter Sunday evening. This woman is what I term, "pleasantly confused," meaning she is sweet, soft spoken, and has trouble remembering where the bathroom and her easy chair are. Day one she was pretty quiet as she checked everything out and worked on getting the lay of the land. Day two (and forward) she began to say things to me like, "Everyone is so nice here," "I'll get better at remembering how to do things for myself. I will," and, "That other place. It was so big, and there were so many people (not able to articulate what she wanted to finish the sentence with), or, "I'm sorry I can't eat all of my food."

As much as I like hearing how nice we all are, my gut tells me it is forefront in her mind because someone wasn't so nice to her. Do I think she was technically abused? NO. If I did I would pursue it with the state. What I do think is some overworked, under paid staff member rushed this resident so that she could get her required tasks finished. I am also thinking that some dignity issues and care standards were less than stellar.

My mind goes back to the woman we cared for last summer that DID have the definite marking of someone that had been abused (hand print bruise on the back of her arm). Her son called me several times before I agreed to increase my license capacity so that we could take her. Though, because of her level of dementia, she was not able to substantiate the abuse, innocent things she said to me confirmed it in my heart and I felt blessed and honored to be able to make her last couple of months of life happy and peaceful. I also continue to have a touch of regret that I didn't get the message and move faster on getting her her.

I can't help wondering if having done that there wasn't some cosmic thing happening that sent this new resident to us before she had to endure what the former resident had gone through. I love the notion that the universe sees me as some kind of Lady Liberty (send me your sick and infirmed... and whatever else it says on her plaque), that can improve the quality of life for our residents.

With the staggering numbers of projected dementia related diseases in the future of our country we have to do something to change the way people with this disease are cared for, as well as what the government sees as being important to regulate. If we don't step up now, it might be us going for a month without having our teeth brushed, or being forced to finish our milk. That is not okay with me.

Now that I have done this business for (almost) five years I am ready to take my knowledge on the road and show others that great care CAN happen, and for a lot less money than it costs to vegetate at a nursing home. I am kicking around some ideas for a book. The current working title is, The Proper Care and Feeding of OPs... You're only old once so make it matter. The only way for things the change is for every individual to speak up and insist on the best care for themselves or the loved one they are in charge of. If we continue to let the system direct the care there will be very few places that I will want to live in. Fortunately for me, I am going to make long term care insurance a MUST HAVE (yes, even over shoes) once I turn 62, and my oldest always fully funds her Roth so between the two I will be able to buy quality care if I need it.

Please join me in thanking the universe for sending me this delightful resident. Also, hold me up in prayer and/or thought as to how I am to fine tweak my message and get it out into the world, and into the normal course of elder care.

6 comments:

Nancy said...

You are amazing. I'm so glad they have you.

Just catching up. Looks like you are doing really well. I love the line about good at giving advice but finally learning how to take your own advice. :D

Random Musings said...

That would be a great book idea.
And you rock at what you do, I look at people who abuse or take advantage of the elderly just like child predators.
She is in a good place now and you will take great care of her, everyone is here on this earth for a reason, and we all know this is yours..

Patty said...

What I am Nancy, is blessed to be able to do what I love and make a difference in the world.

Thanks for putting me on the radar and catching up with my life.

Love ya.

Patty said...

And we all know Random, that Miss Daisy is a big part of why you are here on Earth. You are such a great mommy, even if you don't listen to the doctor and keep feeding her people food.

The Girl Next Door said...

You know this is a big thorn in my side for a LOOOOOONG time! I spent a lot of time with my grandparents when I was little (they basically raised my until I was five)so I have always had a special affinity with the elderly. I actually feel more comfy with old peeps then people my own age and always have because of this. Anyways....

I have seen things that make one sick. The problem with instituationalized old folks homes is that many have trouble hiring and keeping QUALITY people. It is not a fun job, nor a job for everyone and that creates an issue. My cousin is the manager of such a place and she really has trouble finding and keeping good help. Because of who/how she is she is luckier then most though and she has cleaned up the place she manages quite a bit. However it is still a struggle for her, she wants to do the right thing and spends a lot of personal time managing that feat.

Anyways, I pray I am able to go into a home such as yours when I am at that stage if my child is unable to help me. From personal experience it seems that the independant homes such as yours who are more of an actual home tend to do better in taking care of their residents. It is the institutions that are really making me mad and their "managed care" approach that discusts me.

Ok I am getting off my high horse now and you may all return to regular broadcasting! LOL

Patty said...

You are exactly right T~Girl, so why do we keep allowing our tax dollars to pay for these crap places that have managed to get a "Skilled Care" label" at double the cost instead of letting us spend OUR paid in tax money (ie Medicare/medicaid) to be in smaller places (with a track record of proof)that deliver person-centered care?

That is the first step mission of my book. Once people have better facts about the way it CAN be done, they will know what to ask for/expect.

I know that in MOST cases it is not the staff, but the conditions. The first thing I address when I dream/design my perfect care facility is staff needs. In my place upper management WILL NOT count in staff/resident ratio, and boy will my staff members have perks!