Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sugar blues..............................

I think I have mentioned that I am reading a book with the above title (by William Dufty). Written in 1975, one might think the information would be outdated, but this is untrue. I continue to find the authors take on the history of sugar facinating, and wanted to share something that I read from the book, because I found it amusing (and in my opinion, truthful). Sorry if there are any docs out there reading this... He made the generalization, NOT me!

"The difference between the expensive diseases like cancer and the cheap ones like sugar blues is crucial. Present-day orthodox treatment of cancer is fiendishly expensive. Your finacial ruin is your doctor's yacht. The treatment for sugar blues or hypoglycemia is a do-it-yourself proposition. Kick man-refined sugar and say good-bye to doctor and hospital bills. Mink coats and sunshine seminars in Bermuda can hardly be squeezed from that.

By the 1970s, the slogan was preventative medicine. What the diseasestablishment means by preventive medicine, however, is regular and costly visits to an MD or clinic for expensive tests, and maybe a free sermon on smoking or cholesterol if Doc can hide his paunch under his white coat and abstain from tobacco long enough to deliver it."

Do all doctors practice this way? Of course not. BUT, just for a minute, say this guy is right... As a culture we manage to give up processed foods, and over the next ten years diseases like heart attacks and cancer begin to dwindle and disappear, there would be lots of clinic and hospital staff out of work wouldn't there be. Come to think of it, if the aging generation gets healthy, I might also find myself without frail seniors to care for. Wouldn't that be great?

I am finding it a tough sell to convince brain and mouth that they really don't need processed food and sweets. I keep telling them that if we could give up cheese, then kicking sugar should be a breeze. Instead they are fighting back by giving me flu-like symptoms, and zapping my energy as they grudgingly give up the toxins stored in their cells. (I guess I should have taught them the rules of fair fighting!) They refuse to listen or believe that one can survive without chocolate, (I wonder who taught them that one?), but I am plugging away, and I will keep you informed of any battles I manage to win over them. Just for fun, pay attention to how many of the seemingly "innocent" foods you eat today that have hidden sugar in them. You might be surprised.

3 comments:

Has to be me said...

"Just for fun, pay attention to how many of the seemingly "innocent" foods you eat today that have hidden sugar in them. You might be surprised."

Oospy! thats scary....I know u r supposed to watch what u eat....but I quite hate doing so...cos then u cant really rejoice all the good things!! heee heee!

Patty said...

While I agree with you, junk food tastes great!

Giving up sweets is kind of like when you know you have to disapline your children for "their own good," even though you hate doing so. In the end a parent either does the right thing or the child suffers when they go out into the real world.

Anonymous said...

Give up CHOCOLATE!! Not on your life my dear!! Love ya' anyway, keep up the good work.

(ORA)