Thursday, September 07, 2006

Speaking out for the children.....................

There as been an ongoing news subject in my area that I have, until now, refrained from mentioning. The lastest developments insist that I talk about the subject.

In early July 2005 a seven year old boy was reported missing by his adoptive parents. It was first thought that he ran away and was hiding out somewhere in the area. A search began with many volunteers combing the wooded areas day after day until a week and a half later the search was called off. It was reported that he had taken his small blue backpack with him, and for the next four months, as I ran along various country roads, I would search the sides of the roads for that back pack, or any sign of the missing little boy. I would have these dialogs in my head about what I would say to keep him calm and gain his trust if I came across him. I imagined finding him, alive and well, and telling him that he could trust me because I used to be a foster kid once upon a time and I knew how terrible things could be. As the months past, and it seemed highly unlikely that he would ever be found, I kept a prayer vigil going in my head for him as I ran.

Earlier this spring his adoptive parents were arrested on domestic assult charges, and ended up turning on one another. Each confessed that the other one had killed the little boy. The father took police to where he had dumped the little boy's body, and his remains were identified. I still find myself searching the fields as I run, thinking of him and praying for his soul.

A couple of days ago the adoptive father plead guilty to second degree murder, and agreed to testify against his wife. He says the wife killed the little boy and he got rid of the body as she instructed him to do. He also says his wife had been abusing the little boy for years, while he stood by and did nothing. This is what I want to speak to.

When I lived in my foster home, my foster mother delt out the physical/emotional abuse while her husband looked on with blind eyes. I knew it was pointless to speak up about my foster brother's inappropriate sexual behavior towards me as it would only result in me being punished for "lying." Like this little boy, I had no one to turn to because a husband refused to stand up to his wife.

If there is anyone out there (reading this) that is living this situation, I beg you to stand up to the abuser. At the very least take the child out of the situation. Be brave enough to put a stop to the violence once and for all. Decide today, this moment, that you are going to stop being a victim and become a hero and rescue the child. It is NOT okay to look the other way and pretend it isn't as bad as it seems. I know you might feel powerless yourself, but you CAN do it!

I also want to say, that you are not alone. I will help you to help the child. get in touch with me, and I promise I will help you to figure things out.

To all of the rest of you, who think this might be my strangest post to date, I thank you for reading and ask that you hold all the children that are at the mercy of an abuser up in prayer. I have been hiding from this post for some time, but my gut kept telling me to put it out there so here it is. I understand what a touchy subject a parent's right to physical punishment is, and I will say that I have spanked my kids. I did not however chain them up, or do the other things that was done to the little boy with the blue backpack. I thank God for that fact, because I do understand that out of control with anger feeling. There but for the grace of God go I!

I am sorry to be such a downer today, but I have to listen to my instincts. Thank you for listening to me, and God blessings for a great rest of your day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!! No child should be subjected to the abuses this child is reported to have endured. Many persons and programs let him down. If your post helps only one child it is well worth the writing. You have a keen sense of this due to your past life, thank God you survived and are such a strong individual today. I also commend you for being who you are and never hiding behind or using the excuse that it's OK to behave immorally or inappropriately because you were an abused child. Great job girlfriend more folks need to stand up and say Enough is Enough!! (ORA)

Patty said...

Thank you! I am doing as well as I am today because of the support of people like you in my life. Wouldn't be the same if I didn't have my Other Right Arm!

Love you!

one4JC said...

Being in the childcare field I have seen these types of stories and situations more often than I care to remember.

But I DO remember...because if we don't... we won't remain vigilant to help another child in need when the situation arises.

I had a similarly themed post about the 11 year old in Wisconsin today.

Be on the look out for those we can help and pray...those are the weapons we can use.