Thursday, September 14, 2006

Some things on my mind...........

On average two to three times a week, (my) Mister will ask me a half question, and before he finishes I give him the answer. No matter how many times this happens, he ALWAYS responds with, "How do you know what I was going to say?" So I complete his sentence for him, and he gives me a look that conveys he thinks I am part smart-ass, and part spooky for being able to "read" his mind. Then, nine times out of ten, he will say to me a minute or two later, "So what am I thinking now?" Unless he has that secret smile on his face that means only one thing, I rarely get the second guess right. It could be that he is focusing on throwing me off, or I am thinking of something else and not reading the non-verbal cues, who knows? Who cares? Since I have no immediate plans to take my gift on the road and do readings for people, I have not worked to hone this skill that I think all of us have within us. I just like to have fun with it, in the moment, because the look on (my) Mister's face when I am right, is as the Mastercard commercial states: Priceless!

I have this same link with my children, but they give waaaay easier cues. My youngest, for example, ALWAYS begins a question with, "Hey Mommy," to which I respond, "What do you want?" Why is it then that if I am so seemingly good at reading my family, do they not read me at all? (Well... I guess I should say that they can/do read me when I am spouting steam from my nostrils when I am angry, but any stranger off the street could do that.) Somehow they have their signals crossed. If I am sitting and doing nothing, they tend to ignore me. The very second I pick up a book to start reading, or am typing on the computer, they start chatting and/or asking me all kinds of questions. I think this is some throw-back to some early genetic link from the times when cave (and I think Native American Indian) mothers carried their young on their backs for the first couple of years of their lives. Never being apart, the mother had to learn how to mentally multi-task, and their little one learned to ignore the "I am doing something" cues and seek to get their needs met on demand. Where do you think it comes from?

In our family, interuptions and switching to plan B, mid-stream are the norm rather than the exception. Most of the time I think this is all pretty amusing, and we all laugh when I either, 1. Hold up the book I am reading and say, "NO! I am not reading, I would LOVE to have a conversation with you." or 2. I try to ignore the presence quietly standing beside me waiting for an indication that it is okay to interupt me, until I say, "WHAT?" To which the reply is ALWAYS, "Well, I know you don't like it when I interupt you, so I was waiting for you to finish." Why is it that they don't realize that standing over someone, staring at them intently, IS interuptive? Beats me!

Really folks, I am poking fun at myself with this post. I wouldn't change my family for anyone in the world. I love them to pieces, mostly because they love me inspite of all of my flaws. I like the fun, laughter, and as Dr. Phil would say, "The soft place to fall," that my home/family is to me. I am very fortunate, to have what I have. If the price I have to pay for all of this love and support is having to read 'THE SAME DAMN PARAGRAPH THREE (or more) TIMES" I should just shut up and count my many blessings. Don't you agree?

No comments: