Wednesday, September 27, 2006

"I'LL KEEP RUNNING because I want to get into trouble....

I read the above in a running shoe ad. The rest of the ad read, " My dream is to someday actually be scolded for exceeding the "30-minute maximum" on the treadmill.

Now there is a goal that I can relate to! Doesn't it also speak to the fact that attitude is everything. Instead of getting all jerked out of shape over some silly rule why not change the angle a bit and make it work to your advantage? Speaking of that... The lastest school issue...

My youngest is often rushing to school at the last minute because she is helping me with something. In addition to this she helps out a teacher at the elementary school for an hour a day. Well, the parking spaces she uses have been put up for grabs in a raffle to become reserved parking spots, at three bucks a ticket. I was a little more than mifted to find out that they could do this with public school parking spaces. Not having chatted with the principal in a few days I thought I would question the validity of this idea. The school's take on the matter is they are getting around things by only raffling off 36 of the total 39 spots. Oh, yeah! He also told me they could make any rules they want, as long as they put them in the "student hand book." He sputtered a bit when I ask him where in the rule book this parking rule was... Made my day!

Anyway, last night, when my youngest and I were talking about the matter (my) Mister came into the room and said, " If there are 36 spots, at three bucks a ticket, that is $108.00. Why don't you just write them a check and have ALL the spots reserved for you? WHAT A GREAT IDEA! I added that she could them give the spaces to all of her friends for Christmas presents. We had lots of fun with this plan until it occured to one of us that since it is a raffle they could sell more than the 36 tickets, so the plan might not work in the end. We then went back to the normal ideas like staging sit-ins and signing petitions. The point is, looking at the issue from an unusual perspective felt good and was really a fun bonding time for us as a family. That "me against the world" thing I guess!

What is going on in your life that could benefit from a breath of fresh air, and/or a new perspective? Try something new and see how much fun you can have with it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Patty, Missed your blog and I am now trying to catch up , we r still jetlagged (you can tell it 3:30 am here)
I totally agree with you that it is indeed a breath of fresh air when we start looking at things differently, u feel like u can breathe again!

Patty said...

So glad you are back safe and sound. I missed you, and can't wait to hear all about your trip.