Monday, September 25, 2006

Bennefits of a newpaper... Even if you don't read it......................

Last Thursday I had to run a couple of errands. While I was out, I splugged on some new throw rugs for the kitchen/family room at 40% off. The next day I was seperating the adds from the news for the OPs, and I noticed an ad from the store I purchased the rugs from. For their Super Saturday Sale, these same rugs were to be 50% to 60% off. Seemed worth a trip back to the store to collect the difference.

Friday afternoon, our microwave started throwing flames with use, so we had to put it out of commision. Long story short, I received $44.00 back on the rugs, and found a microwave for $49.00, costing me only $5.00 when I used the savings from the rug. Had I not glanced at the adds, or was too lazy to go in and get the refund, I still would have needed to purchase the microwave for the full $49.00. My advice, the fifty cents to a dollar that the daily paper cost you is money well spent if you look at the adds/coupons and utilize the savings that these items can give you. Most stores will refund you the difference up to four weeks later if an item goes on sale and/or clearance in that time frame. I have made hundreds of dollars over the years by checking everything I buy to make sure there is not a better deal to be had.

Thursday, when I went to get the rugs, I also cruised the clearance as is my habit. I picked up a couple of things, and found this set of dishes that were really cool looking. They were not marked with a price, only stickers that said, "display only, not for sale." Since they were on the clearance rack I ask about the price. The employee could not find anything in the computer to price them from, so she took my name and said she would call when she had more information. This morning I heard from them, and was told the dishes were not on clearance. Without really thinking, I told the employee, " I never buy anything at full price," to which her answered incredulously, "Never?" I assured him, "No, never." So, he went on and figured out what the display items would be at 60% off, but I told him I wanted them 70% off because they were on that rack. I am sure by now he just wanted to get rid of me, but he very nicely replied, "well that would be $15.00 for the four pieces." I took them for that price. What do I plan to do with one place setting? I break it up and use if to hold a variety of other clearance finds to make a real cool, one or a kind Christmas present that has a high retail value, but cost me little and it tailored to a specific person on our Christmas list. A great way to be able to do Christmas within a budget. Try shopping only clearance or sale for one month and keep track of your savings. After that you too will find it hard if not impossible to spend full price on anything.

2 comments:

Has to be me said...

Good going gal! Making the best of the newspapers & the deals ofcourse! :)))

Patty said...

Gets even better... When (my) Mister came home with the dishes last night, they had actually been clearanced out for two dollars a piece so I got all four for eight dollars. Now that's a deal!