Monday, December 03, 2007

Winter camping.......................


So (my) Mister and I set out Saturday morning for the woods, making one small detour to an outlet mall to do a little Christmas shopping, and arrived at our home away from home about four in the afternoon.
After unpacking, we made a pot of coffee and settled in for a nice, uninterrupted, catch-up-chat. A few hours later I noticed that it had started snowing; WITH A VENGEANCE!
YIPPEE!

It was then that is occurred to me I had never gotten around to finding my boots. I had taken great care to find, and pack my warm weather running clothes but had neglected to bring snow boots or a winter coat. The coat is no big deal as I rarely wear one. I knew I would be toasty warm with my layered shirts and windbreaker, but running shoes are not designed to keep the cold, wet, snow out of ones ankles. Guess I know where my priorities are.

Lucky for me (my) Mister takes extraordinary care of me and had thrown in a pair of boots for me to wear. And they were even cute in that clunky-rubber-functional-counts-for-something-they-are-so-ugly-they-are-cute way. Bonus! Okay! So they didn't actually belong to me. I think I might have bought them for the youngest when she was in middle school or high school, but they are like brand new since everyone knows that one doesn't wear boots in middle or high school. NOT COOL! So now mom had some really great snow boots to go tromping through the snow with. Thanks honey.

So, after a sleepless night (the good kind of sleepless night, wink, wink), we fired up the coffee pot again and had a muffin. Not wanting to drag my kitchen with me camping we had went to the local grocery store to get supplies for the weekend. I ended up eating maybe a third of what I purchased for the weekend. I am still amazed that food no longer has the pull that it once did for me. Even though vacation is still a license to eat all those things that you don't eat on a regular basis, I no longer do this (or do so to a MUCH lesser basis than I once did). If you have never had an addiction to food the way I had for most of my life you won't get the significance of this, but to my health and well being it is huge.

After breakfast (my) Mister left to take care of winterizing our trailer and I dressed and headed off for my run. It was fabulous. My first snowy run of the season. There is a skill to running on snow and ice to keep from killing ones self. Okay, maybe not skill, but at least a technique. It works best to find tire tracks or other disturbed snow as pavement can have those black ice patches that can send one flying. Not sure exactly how far I ran, somewhere between two and three miles, but I worked up a good sweat and had a blast so the run was very successful.
Shortly after I got back to the campground, (my) Mister finished with the trailer so we went to the club house to play a couple of games of pool. As usual, I won by cheating so we were both happy as we clomped back through the snow to pack up and head home, happy, content, and looking forward to the next time we get to go camping together.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time, I did wonder about the weather interferring with your trip. The bus company cancelled our trip to Chicago due to weather. Camping is always good no matter when especially if you have good company! (ORA)

Patty said...

Why were you going to Chicago on a bus?

Daniele said...

Sounds like you had a great time - I'm happy for you! Your Mister seems like a wonderful man too :)

Patty said...

Your right Dee, but don't let that cat out of the bag, I've gotta keep him in his place and not let him get the big head.

Anonymous said...

We were going on a girls day shopping trip with two busloads of gals from the area. Eleven of them were in our group alone. Oh well we'll try again next year, just have to finish the shopping here. (ORA)

Sheri said...

Sounds great. Except for all that excerise mumbo-jumbo LOL

Patty said...

Give it a try Sheri. You know you have an inner warrior and there is something about braving the elements that brings it out in full force. You also know you get a certain sense of pride when others think you have gone insane/lost it/can't believe you are doing something. Seeing someone running outside in winter brings this reaction out in others every time. I know this because before I was a runner I used to think this exact thing about the people I did see out there.

Just wanted you to know why I do it so you weren't confused and believed I did it for health reasons. I am not that nuts!

Random Musings said...

I like hubby.. very cute that he packed you boots..
I FINALLY got the hubby to buy a winter coat.. that was a test in itself to the man who has NEVER wanted one

Patty said...

The last time I sent money on a coat was in 2000. It is FAKE (I respect animals everyone) fur and cost me $20, another of my good finds. Think I have worn it three times (maybe). My "outdoor" coat was purchased in 1980 and is in great shape since it doesn't get much wear.

Think if I felt this way about shoes Random. DSW would have gone out of business by now!