Friday, November 16, 2007

With gratitude for my new BFF, Abigail............

Before I get into the details of my gratitude, here is a little anatomy lesson

Deltoid Muscles
The deltoid is the triangular muscle of the shoulder that forms the rounded flesh of the outer part of the upper arm. It passes up and over the shoulder joint. The wide end of the triangle is attached to the shoulder blade (scapula) and the collarbone (clavicle). The apex of the triangle is attached to the upper arm bone (humerus), about halfway down its length. Its strongest point is the central section, which raises the arm sideways. The front and back parts of the muscle twist the arm. The ligaments which connect the muscles to the bone endings are called "deltoid ligaments." Deltoid comes from the Greek word "deltoeides," meaning shaped like a (river) delta.

Back when I was on left arm restrictions for my wrist fracture, I was still working and doing one armed transfers with my right arm (yes I am super human, but didn't you already know that?) Over the last couple of weeks my middle deltoid began to let me know she didn't appreciate me abusing her like I had. Softly at first, a twinge here, a mild ache there. After the marathon it was easy to ignore the early warning signs. Last Friday, she decided to take matters into her own hands and like a child throwing a tantrum in the grocery store, she balled herself up and started screaming. I couldn't sleep, couldn't move my arm in any direction without pain, was having trouble lifting and holding things because of the pain.

Still not wanting to listen I tried masking the pain with some of the left over pain medication from my surgery. Didn't touch it. Then I pulled out the big guns my last muscle relaxer left over from I am not even sure where. While it made me feel relaxed enough so I didn't really care, it did nothing for poor middle deltoid. Enter Abigail.

I could have called the doctor, paid someone to cover for me here (Mister still being out of town at the time), paid the twenty percent co-pay for the office visit, got some more medication (that I had already proven wasn't working), paid the co-pay for that, just to end up at the starting point. Instead I called Abigail and made a thirty minutes massage appointment. Cost, $30.00 (plus tip), results; priceless!

I told her the problem and then crawled under the covers and started focusing on my breath. Thirty minutes later I could move my arm through all of it's range without difficulty. That night Miss middle deltoid and I both slept well. The following day I felt like someone had punched me several times in the shoulder, but general movement and use did not increase the pain. Knowing muscles like I do I had made an additional thirty minutes appointment for a follow up massage to the area. Yesterday the muscle acted up a bit, but never got to the previous level of discomfort. Tonight I will have another thirty minute massage to the area.

Maybe I will need one more massage after tonight's, but even so the total out-of-pocket cost will only be $105.00 (including tip). Because of my insurance plan, I could have only spent the cost of one massage for out-of-pocket expenses, but I would still have the problem, and be taking drugs (which to my body isn't a good thing). The insurance company, on the other hand would have been out at least $300.00 between office visit and medication costs.

It is incredulous to me then why they refuse to cover massage services, or even other healing energy work for that matter. Not only would it be better for the patient, it would be much more cost effective for the company. A win-win in my opinion. I guess they don't operate from a common sense perspective.

Again, I am blessed. I can afford to take a $100.00 out of my budget to pay for the kind of care my body appreciates. I understand that not everyone has this luxury, and how sad is that? Why can't we have more say in how our allotted insurance benefits are doled out? Maybe some people would try to work the system, but most of us only want what is best for our bodies and would act responsible towards them if given the chance. Insurance companies appear to love studies, so why don't they look at body work studies to see the benefits as well as the cost effectiveness of this type of treatment?

In the event you find yourself with bunched up muscles and no insurance there are a few things to consider when looking for a massage therapist. Make sure you go to someone that does therapeutic work, and not just fluff and buff feel good massage. The discomfort of the muscles being worked on should be tolerable, but if it feels good the entire time the only benefits you will get will be relaxation on the table. The first car that pulls out in front of you on your way home from the massage will undo any benefit because muscles can be stubborn and they need someone that can literally put them into their proper place. A good massage therapist will understand the body and be able to share that understanding with you. A good massage therapist will be able to find the trouble spots in the body without you saying a word. Often the point of pain is not the problem and the true source needs to be uncovered and dealt with for the body to work in harmony. A good massage therapist will have confidence in their ability and in the body's ability to heal itself with proper care and feeding.

Remember to take care of your body so it can care for you and provide somewhere wonderful for you to live.

4 comments:

Daniele said...

Glad your muscles feel a little better already! I agree that it's nonsense that insurance companies don't cover these things. Stupid even.

Do you know that I have NEVER had a professional massage. I need to put that on my list of things to do when I've lost more weight and feel less embarrassed about my body.

T. and little D. said...

I can only agree to what dee said. Hope your muscles stay relaxed!!

I always wonder about the economic sense of insurance companies. I am great fan of acupuncture. It really, really helps me. It helps me with my hay fever and my Chinese doctor made my asthma way better (Western medicine did not even try because there seems to be no cure for asthma). Only few insurance companies pay for acupuncture...

In our last holiday T. and I had a massage, very stylish, we both in one room, two nice person who did the massage. It was a Swedish massage. 45 min. 45 min I went through hell. I am so sensitive to pain. It hurt so much! And I am sure the lady did it well! I could not enjoy one minute, always thought, oh no, not the other arm, not the other side,... I am done with it for the next time! (But I really think it is because of me, not because of massage in generell...)

Patty said...

I have to disagree with you Little D.

I can't believe that swedish massage is for relaxation only, no deep tissue work. If you hurt then it wasn't done right. If the therapist didn't pick up on your discomfort it is another signal to me that s/he didn't know what they were doing. I hate hearing about a bad experience with something that can be so positive. If that happen to me the first time I am sure I wouldn't be willing to risk hurting that much again.

I want to experience acupuncture, but it is hard to find in my area. Fortunately I have had good health and no real need to seek much fixing of body parts.

T. and little D. said...

That is nice of you to blame the massage lady! I always tend to look for my faults first. Maybe I'll give it a go another time ;-). (T. enjoyed it very much!)

I can only agree that it is hard to find a Chinese doctor for accupuncture if you don't live in large cities (it was not easy in Frankfurt, Germany). Here in London it is no problem although it is still not so easy to find a good one.

Hope you won't need it for along time!!