Friday, November 09, 2007

Running happiness...................................
It is finally cold enough outside that I was able to wear my new spider hat. It had an original price of $15.00, but I found it on end-of-the-year-clearance for ONLY $4.00. That made me happy when I found it, and all the joy came rushing back when I put it on last night.
Getting a late start, I only ran three miles. I have not made a practice of running at night so I don't have any reflective gear and didn't want to get ran over by a passing deer. My running enthusiasm waned while waiting for my aid to arrive, so I did my little procrastination trick before finally getting out the door. By the time I had ran a 1/2 block I couldn't remember why I didn't want to run. The weather was perfect, I had not listened to the play list that was on my XM so that was fresh and enjoyable, and with my new spider hat I was feeling playful and silly. As I got going I would jump over cracks in the sidewalk, run sideways, sprint to the next tree. This isn't exercise, this is F-U-N!
I traveled a route I had not done since the tornado, but what I saw mimicked what I have been seeing all over town. Several people had hand made signs in their yard expressing thanks for the assistance they received with clean-up after the storm. The few days right after groups of men went from house to house with their chain saws and cut up and cleared debris from yard after yard. Not because they knew the homeowners, but because they were helping their fellow man. The people they helped could not thank them directly as they didn't know who they were beyond angels of mercy, thus the door to door fliers expressing thanks and/or the yard signs. Seeing these along my running route did my heart good and swell with pride that I live in a city that still cares about others. What a blessed woman I am?
I completed the three miles in what seemed like no time at all. I guess I am still on marathon time and a little over thirty minutes is W-A-Y short compared to over six hours of straight running.
Speaking of the marathon...I mentioned yesterday that I went to the dentist this week. I have mentioned in the past that I have known my dentist for over twenty years and used to provide child care for his children. One of those children did the Detroit marathon last year so I took my medal in to share my story of the marathon. I was overwhelmed at the response I received from my dentist and his entire staff. I have showed a few people. They look at it, tell me how great it is, and maybe ask if I will do it again. This group ask very detailed questions, and showed genuine interest in the details of the race and true excitement for my achievement. I felt like a guest of honor at a party. And to think I had a moment of hesitation about sharing with them. Follow your gut people. It will lead you to many blessings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was also amazed driving around your city last week to see the signs of thanks people had posted in their yards. They were amazing--small town pride is a very heartwarming thing. These folks were very obviously devastated by the storm and rather than a "feel sorry for me" attitude they found time to express thanks to strangers. YOU do live in a great place!

T. and little D. said...

It is really nice to read that people still care for each other! I can very well imagine how you must have felt by reading the posted messages in the gardens.

Enjoy your vacation!!And have a lot of fun (I see that you already had quite a lot of fun!!).

Patty said...

Though it is usually the horrible that makes the nightly news, I choose to believe that there is more loving kindness in our world than truly vicious people.

My pets are the best vacation companions EVER. They never complain when I tell them I want to do something. They just happily go along with my plans even when the plans change midstream. Now that is true love and devotion!