Sunday, November 04, 2007

Natural resources...............................................

The other day I overlooked a bargain while in the grocery store. I had purchased two for four dollars, but the clerk told me it was also buy two get two free, so while I finished paying my youngest went back to get the two free items. While waiting for her to get back I saw a customer purchasing those new energy efficient light bulbs. In (another) typical "out of body" experience of mine I went over to him without thought and thanked him on behalf of Mother Earth and all of her inhabitants for being so helpful and responsible to our natural resources.

Of course he (and everyone around within hearing distance) looked at me like I was some sort of weirdo (Moi?), but his reply said it all, "Well. It was time to start changing over."

We are doing the same thing; changing over as our old bulbs burn out. The new bulbs are expensive, so to go out and replace every light bulb in the house would not only break the budget, it would be wasteful. Picking up one or two every week or so is much more friendly on the wallet and we will still be changed over in a few months.

Yesterday, in talking to a resident's daughter who was calling to check in, our conversation jumped over to our natural resources and the fact that they are finite. From "mom's fine" to "Our leaders really need to start looking into alternative energy sources" just like a fast car zooms from zero to eighty in a few seconds. Someones sending me a lesson...

And since I really don't think the lesson would be to run for office so I can appoint someone to study energy conservation, or invent the answer myself, I think it is a simple reminder to do my part in the overall conservation of our planet's natural resources. Not even because they are running out, but because it is the right thing to do.

For centuries mankind has been abusing planet Earth, in the name of progress and growth. The gifts of the Earth seemed to be endless, plentiful, and ours for the taking. We created the concept of land ownership as well of ownership of all the gifts that the land could produce without a second thought.

Least you think I am preaching, let me say that I am a property owner, and my property has it's fair share of material goods on it. I have made countless purchases over the years without regard to where they came from or what was taken from the Earth for my personal gain. Even while being grateful for the item, it never occurred to me to include gratitude for everything that went into the creation of the items.

We can't change the past, or go back and be kinder to our natural resources, but we can begin to be more aware today and move towards a kinder, gentler treatment of them in the future. After all, their future is our future. If we want to continue to use energy our only option is to take care of what we have. One way to do this it to practice gratitude.

Are you a collector of stuff like I am? How much of that stuff has been packed in the Attic and not seen or used in a long time? What about the stuff that you do see on a daily basis? Do you love it, or is it just something else to dust? Look at all of your possessions through the eyes of love. If an item no longer holds value for you then move it along. Give it away to someone that can give it value and be grateful for it. This is another way we can save resources as well as clear space for items we do love and value.

With the holiday buying season here (those of you that were done with your Christmas shopping in August can skip this part) I have been turning these above thoughts into gift ideas. There are so many things I DON'T need. I actually think the perfect gift this year would be for my loved ones to come over and take something I no longer use. No shopping hassles, no wrapping, NO MORE DUSTING! What's not to love about that gift idea?

I have actually already put my order in to my oldest as to what I want from her this year. Let me start by saying my family hates to hear the words, "I figured out what I want you to give me for Christmas this year," as it is NEVER something that can be purchased. Strange as it might sound, the gift I have ask my oldest for is for her to put together her durable power of attorney/medical power of attorney papers in the event that something happens to her. Is she sick? Heck no. She finished her marathon in 4:19;52. This doesn't mean that something won't happen, and I truly believe that everyone over twenty-one should have these documents so there is no question as to THEIR wishes in the event that they can not make decisions on their own. She has been putting it off so what better pressure is there than "mom's wish list" to get something important taken care of?

Now how in the world did energy conservation turn into Christmas gift ideas? Just following my thoughts folks...Going with the flow...

No comments: