Thursday, May 31, 2007

Why can't they just let me go away peacefully?..........................

Yes, I am referring to the public school system, and I am feeling this urge to become a school shooter so I thought if I talked about it in print it would help me to relax and let it go.

Last March (23rd) I got this urgent call that my youngest had not yet paid for her AP statistics exam, and if she didn't pay that day she would not be able to take the exam in May. If she does well on the exam she will not have to take the class in college so we wanted her to take the test. Long story short I rushed around and got a check to the school that day.

The check has yet to be cashed.

When I checked on it at the very beginning of May the lady told me they had to wait until the test was given to cash the checks to be sure that all the kids had paid. This made no sense to me at all, and in my opinion is no way to run a business, but the test was two days away at that point in time so I let it go.

A week after the test the check had still not been cashed so I tried to call the lady, she wasn't in, so I left a very sweet message with the assistant principal and ask him to look into the matter for me.

Today (May 31) I called the lady again to be told that the checks can not be cashed until the kids that ended up not taking the tests are given back their money, and the kids that took the test without paying for it payed. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?

Apparently the original due date for money of March 23 didn't really mean anything. Apparently this woman felt it was fine to lie to me about the fact that the checks would be cashed as soon as the test was given. Apparently most people don't care to keep their checkbooks up to date.

Half-way through her speech about why my check could not be cashed, I interrupted her to inform her that I didn't care about anything but getting my check cashed. I gave her my own little speech about how my daughter is slated to graduate in three days and if she does not have all of her paper work done, any fines payed, books returned, yada, yada, that she will not be able to graduate and yet I have ABSOLUTELY NO RECOURSE to take to make sure my check is cashed before graduation.

Then I hung up on her and called the assistant Principal, told him that I would appreciate him listening to me vent and them proceeded to tell him the exact same thing I had said to the secretary. His response, " Well, gosh! I am going to have to call the business office, no one has ever came to me with this problem before." Right! I am trying to get them to take my money, not get out of paying them. One would think they would be glad to do so.

I am rational enough to understand that within the big picture of life this is NOT a big deal. It isn't even a sorta big deal. Why am I getting all hyped up about it then?

Because it is one more little thing in a HUGE list of little things that should not be this hard. If I ran my business the way the school runs their business I would be living on the street by now. I pay taxes so they can make insane policies like this? Let's do the math... The test cost close to $100.00. Say 25 kids took the test making the total amount close to $2,500.00 sitting in a desk drawer instead of a bank account where it could be earning a tiny bit of interest. But what do they care about making money as they can just raise the next millage and I can pay higher taxes to not have any say in policy making? It makes me crazy!

Let it go Patty...

Tomorrow is senior breakfast, to which I am sending 2 pounds of ham. When I ask why I didn't just send in a whole ham I was informed that she (the person on the phone) was only one of six people making calls and they all had ham on their list, blah, blah, blah, so I simply told her this would not have been the way I would have structured it, but since I was not invited to help organize the breakfast I would just shut my mouth and send in the two pounds. Then my youngest and I crunched the numbers and had a good laugh at the thought of these women trying to figure out where in the world they were going to plug in the 65 crock pots with small amounts of various hot breakfast items each holding one to two pounds of something.

I hope they blow a fuse!

I feel better! Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is now Sunday and I am back from my short, but wonderful, vacation. I hope by now your youngest is all graduated and you are officially done with the public school system!! It is far to stressful for you and if they had about 10 other moms like you they would probably get it figured out!! Talk with you later this week. (ORA)

Patty said...

Yes! She has graduated, and I am officially done. I will be blogging about it later.

Unfortunetely I talked with two parents yesterday that are not done, and are dealing with much more serious crap that I ever had going on. It is amazing what people at this school keep getting away with.