Wednesday, May 09, 2007




(my) Mister, the miracle builder....................

Our new resident is short on one end (just like me...Do you know how thin I would be if only I were ten inches taller?).. She is also visually impaired, and uses a walker. The four inch platform that is needed so she can get in and out of bed independently caused her much anxiety stepping up and down as she feared (and who could blame her, new surroundings and all) walking right off the edge of it.

In typical Patty fashion I shared the problem with (my) Mister, and gave him the job of solving it. The above pictures are what he came up with. And he did it in under three hours (yes I was timing him, he has a long to do list. Don't worry he is used to it). I went out to check on his progress one time and he was about to cut some angle or another and he is "just standing there." (me) "What are you doing?" (him) "Trying to figure out if I am making this cut right?" (me) "Well just cut it." (he...with that there is MUCH more to it than that look on his face) "Just cut it?" (me) "How expensive is that piece of wood?" (him) A couple of bucks." (me) Well, that's okay then. Just trust your angels to get it right and cut it." (him... with that no way out/deer in the headlights look, as well as MAJOR skepticism in his voice.) "Alright then, but...

When I came back a few minutes later he was nailing it on to the base board, and it worked perfectly! (me) "Wow! That's great! I AM IMPRESSED!" (him... preening like a peacock, grinning from ear to ear) "An old wooden boat building technique I read about. Makes the perfect curve."

I still need to get to the store and get some kind of floor covering for it, but the true test of the ramps perfection came this morning when our new resident came out of the bedroom on her own. If she is feeling comfortable enough to use the ramp independently it is a wonderful success! Thanks honey! You came through for me again (as usual!). You're the best!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to both of you!!! Looks good and I agree if she used it independently that is a true sign it is a good thing! (ORA)

Patty said...

She is much less anxious and we are working out the little things the way she likes them. I have told her she gets to meet you next Wednesday and she is looking forward to it.