Saturday, May 26, 2007

Random says, "I'm it!"......................

Tagged by Random,how could I say no thank you. Besides my oldest loves these kind of posts because she always learns something she didn't know about me before.

The Rules:*
Players start with 8 random facts about themselves.*
Those who are tagged should post these rules and their 8 random facts.*
Players should tag eight other people and notify them that they have been tagged.

1. My middle name at birth was Ellen. When I got married for the first time I dropped Ellen and took my maiden name as my middle name. Not for any women's lib reasons, but to keep a connection with the parents I didn't have any other memories of. My way of honoring them I guess.

2. I have an uncanny ability to recall telephone numbers. I have no idea why I can remember phone numbers in my head, I am not that good at math. One of the silliest arguments (my) Mister and I ever had (and I am picking from a vast assortment of silly arguments here folks) was the time I couldn't understand why he couldn't remember the phone number: 627-7627. NOT rocket science is it now? He couldn't understand why he needed to remember something he could write down and look up. Come to think of it I still don't think we ever found common ground on that one(the person that owned the number has been dead for four or five years so it is a mute point now anyway).

3. When I was little my aunt and uncle had a really mean little yappy dog named Patty. I hated that the dog had the same name as me. Not because I didn't want to share names, but because she was such a mean dog. Now that I think back on it, maybe that is where my mean, yappy streak comes from? See? I can't help it because I learned it from my name sake at an impressionable age.

4. Like Random, with the exception of a couple of cups of coffee in the morning, the only thing I drink is water. I don't understand how people can say they don't like the taste of water, I have actual cravings for the stuff. And I prefer the water at room temperature instead of cold even if I would burn more calories by drinking ice water. I am too greedy and love to drink the 8 to 16 ounces straight down rather than have to sip it due to the coldness of it.

5. Not because of number four, but because of training I ALWAYS have to go to the bathroom JUST BEFORE I leave the house (go to bed and get up as well). Doesn't matter if I just went five minutes prior, it is so ingrained in me from childhood that I must go again, or at least try. I always made my kids do the same, but they don't seem to be as obsessed about it as I am now that they are adults.

6. Whenever we (Mister and I)go on a vacation we get a picture frame as a souvenir. We started the tradition on our honeymoon and have kept it up ever since. A few of the frames ended up never getting pictures in them and so we have adopted the face in those frames as member's of the family. After seven years don't you think they have earned the honor? Yes, they have names...Aunt Sue and Uncle Jake.

7. There were times in my life when I was afraid of driving. Like for the entire first year that I had my licence. One is on probation during this time and the law can take away one's licence for infractions so in order to avoid having this happen I simply choose not to drive. I guess I was black or white even back then.

Or when I got married and moved to the big city (which wasn't very big at all, but seemed HUGE to me compared where I came from. Used to country roads and four-way stop signs, I was blown away by the occasional over-pass). When I was five months pregnant with my oldest, I found an ad in the paper for a used high chair. The fact that we were so poor at the time trumped my fear of driving so I headed out (when the husband was out of town on business) to secure the chair for my unborn child. I ended up getting horribly lost, backing up (OFF) an (ON) ramp of another freeway that would have taken me to an even bigger city, crying, and scared to death I was going to run out of gas, thankful that I had enough money in my personal (hidden) slush fund to replace the gas that I had used so my husband wouldn't find out (NO! He did not physically abuse me, it was just his style of yelling in anger that made me avoid it at any and all costs. I was already feeling stupid enough without having anyone else share in those sentiments). I never got that high chair (but we did get one at a baby shower so all's well that ends well), and I kept my secret safe for many, many (has it really been close to twenty-eight already?) years. And yes, I can drive anywhere without too much anxiety these days, but I still really don't like too.

8. I hate putting pressure on people to do things they don't volunteer for. I made a horrible phone tree parent when the kids were in elementary school. I would rather bake fifteen dozen cookies rather than ask parents to help provide them. If friends ask me to host one of those in home parties, I would rather write them a check than ask other friends "to come over for a night of fun and to learn about some really great products." I also wrote checks instead of allowing my kids to participate in fund raisers. In spite of this...

I am actually going to fulfill all the requirements this time and actually tag eight people, as a growing experience for me. I hope I know that many bloggers. Here goes:

One 4 JC
Jenna
Maynard
Dee
E
Has to be me
Sheri
(and) Steve...Welcome to my world!

I did it! Even if I had to search for number eight (a new blog), and tag a total stranger (my defense is that Random had to go and tag T-girl before I could).



Do me a favor. Click on Steve's link and go on over and give him a great big welcome. It just might encourage him to do the tag for me.

4 comments:

T-girl said...

ROTFL... so much for not presuring strangers to do something!!!!!!

Can I ask why you all don't put a picture FROM the vacation in the frame? LMAO Sorry, I know you love Aunt Sue and Uncle Jake a lot and they have always been there for you when you needed them but do you REALLY know them, honestly? What if they are just pretty faces and not full of depth of character despite their uncanning ablitly to always look so adoringly at you? ROTFLMAO... sorry, feel free to reach out and smack me!

Random Musings said...

the hubby and I collect Christmas ordiments on every vacation we go on, my grandparents did it (and still do) and I remember every time putting up the tree with them EVERY single ordiment had a story behind it.
It was not much when we started but its looking pretty cool now. It makes me excited about the holidays even though its just the 2 of us.


ha ha I got t first!!

Patty said...

Okay T-girl, consider yourself smacked! The reason is that we are old! The first several years we were married were before the age of digital cameras (or at least before we had one). Film did not always make it to the store in a timely fashion, and once the pics came home they received a cursory glance and then got stuck up on the shelf until I had time to properly attend to them (ie. put them in frames or books, etc...) Perfectly reasonable explanition.

If I were you, I would be more worried about Aunt Sue and Uncle Jake, sitting quietly in their frames, wondering how they ended up with such nutty relatives!

Patty said...

I am impressed that you can find X-mas ornaments on every vacation. When you are here we need to make a day trip to Frankenmuth in that case. They consider themselves the Christmas capital of the world.