Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Party follow-up.......................................

Remember how my goal for the graduation party was to be kind to myself? Well I wanted to share how successful this ended up being because I am pretty proud of me.

(my) Mister took the three days before the party off of work and I could not have pulled things off without his help. I did some major cooking both Thursday and Friday while he did most of the OP care. Thank you sweetheart!

Both days I took some time out and took the dogs for a walk.

Now this might not sound like any big deal to you, but it is huge self-care for me. The old me would have taken that time to stew, fret, and do 500 other things instead of taking time to rest and regroup. I can't begin to tell you how happy my inner child was about getting to go out and play when there was so much work to be done!

Did everything get done that was on the list? Nope! And guess what? NO ONE DIED or any other horrible thing one might imagine. A few dishes never made it to the table (that just reminded me that I still have three large batches of finger jello in the back of the fridge...maybe Spanish class will eat them tomorrow), in rained a bit in the morning, and not all the floors ended up getting swept. Big deal! So what? Friends and family came together and enjoyed one an other's company. Who could ask for more than that?

It is kind of sad that I took so many years to catch onto the really important things in life. Maybe one of you youngsters out there reading this can take a lesson from this old(er) woman? Probably you will need to learn it on your own, which it totally an okay thing.

It isn't a horrible thing to push ourselves towards always doing our best, but often we tend to do so to the point of self-abuse with nothing ever being good enough to satisfy. This brings us full circle back to the concept, the need to practice self-love/kindness. Practicing these things on ourselves will only make us more able to give them abundantly to others.

No comments: