Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Puppy park, part two.......................

Last night was such a gorgeous night that I decided to take the dogs for a walk for my cool down after my fifty minute run. It ended up being fate, as when rounding the corner I noticed several people (and their pups) inside of the ball park.

I was a bit apprehensively about going inside the fence, having scardy-dog Emma and potentially Kujo Ben, who has been known to try and take a leg or two off a fellow canine in the past. I was, after all, wanting to make a good impression with this group of strangers and find out first hand what they thought about my dog-park idea. Deciding the only way to find out was to step up to the plate and see if I would hit a home run or strike out with them, (Don't ya like my little bit of baseball lingo in honor of the site?) I picked up a shaking Emma, got a firm grip on Ben's leash, and headed on in.

I shared with them what I had been told about the signs going up, and one person responded that she knew it would only be a matter of time before this happened. I ask the group what they felt the need for a dog park was, and the vote was all in favor. Two of the people in the group live within visual area of the ball field and stated that they see tons of people bringing their dogs to the ball park so that they might run around. They all agreed with me that since our tax dollar supports the ball field we should be able to use if if we can treat it respectfully, but that a place of our own would be even better.

The person that said she knew they would eventually post a no trespassing signs said that she had been thinking of trying and getting a real dog park for a couple of years and even had some plans that a friend of hers had used to build one in a different city. She also said if I were to call the Mayor he would tell me to join the parks committee. Didn't even know we had a parks committee, but in my defense she told me it was pretty new and they were looking for a few more people to be on it.

So folks, Patty is going to go civic, and as soon as city hall opens this morning I am going to call and see what I have to do to get a seat on the parks committee. The nice woman with the plans said she would drop off a copy of them at my house so I would have the information to present to the committee. I haven't been on a committee in years, and never one of so public a nature. This will be a brand new experience for me... The things I do for those dogs!

Speaking of the dogs... Ben was a perfect little gentleman the entire time we were there, and he made his momma proud! Emma, not so much. First I had to listen to the comments about how I wasn't helping her by holding her, blah, blah, dog whisperer would, blah, blah, why don't you blah, blah. At one point she was in my arms growling, twisting, and turning, and I smacked her on the nose without really thinking (you know how you do to a baby when they bite your nipple while nursing? Totally reflexive) and told her to, "knock it off." Bet they talked about that one after we left the park, but oh well. Eventually I got Emma to let me put her down and she sat quietly at my feet for about three minutes and just watched the other dogs, then she started growling and acting all tough again, even though all the other dogs had gotten bored with her by then and were no where near her. I used her behavior to my advantage (and why shouldn't I, after having to put up with all the unsolicited advice). I told them that they needed to support my idea of a dog park so they could all help me get Emma over her fears of other dogs (though I have to say here that every one of those dogs was like four feet taller than Emma is, and I was kinda afraid of one of two of them myself if the truth be told, I just hid it better than she did), and teach me how to act with her, even though what I was thinking was more along the lines of, "my dog and I are just fine the way we are thank you very much. She can be scared if she wants to be." I can say anything I need to as long as it brings the desired results! I think they refer to that as losing the battle to win the war.

So now you are up to date with my plans regarding my new project. I will keep you informed as things progress, just in case you decide to follow in my foot steps one day.

4 comments:

one4JC said...

LOL I got all the way to the end of the post and had to reread it...

The first time through I didn't remember anything except
"you know how you do to a baby when they bite your nipple while nursing?"

WHAT???? Ouch! I could have done without that little tidbit!

But congrats on your new adventure!

Random Musings said...

Wow what an adventure. I have "heard" that the best way to get anything done in a city is take to to council. Most city halls have council meetings every month and they open the floor to new city improvements, you will need to sign up to speak to the Mayor/city clerk all of the council and you will have to be there early and bring some supporters but the outcome will be quicker than going at it alone. I can bet money that most of the people in any city hall have pets and will also join in your measure to have a dog park.
Our city hall just passed that all pets cat or dog are required and it is MANDITORY to be spayed or neutered. Which in my book is GREAT news. and it was the general public who brought this issue forward to help control the pet population the statistics were staggering how many pets were killed in a single year in a single city close to 20,000 pets.

Patty said...

One4jc,

Most babies rarely do that, some mom's have a real problem with it I have heard. It happen to just be the first thing that came to my mind as something that one does without thinking about it. What one is suppose to do is to pull the baby off the nipple and explain why biting is not allowed. Pulling a latched on baby off the nipple...now there is an ouch, and AFTER it has already been asulted. Sorry, this old school mom still believes the startle factor along with a little pain works far better.

Patty said...

Random,

Hopefully you don't have any breeders living in your town. Or at least hope they have made provisions for this in the new law. I agree that there is a terrible pet population problem, but as with most laws the problem often figures out a way around the law. But like you said, it is important to step up and do something to get change implemented. Hopefully your city's law will help lots of animals.