Thursday, March 15, 2007

Let me tell you how I'm feeling...............

As most of you know, I had married and divorced twice before (my) Mister. I think I have also told you how my second ex has lived with us (bag and baggage) in the past, and continues to use our address/phone number to official use. In fact, just yesterday, I received two recorded messages for him and when the (extremely irritating) woman from sprint called wanting me to give him a message, I offered to give her his cell phone number, informing her I was no longer his secretary. SHe hung up on ME! This could have been for a number of reasons... Maybe the script she was reading from did not contain the steps required for writing down a number? Maybe her break time rolled around mid-conversation and she didn't want to miss any of it? Maybe she just doesn't really care about doing her job as a collector, and actually reaching the person she sought just might lead her towards having to do it for a change? Wait a minute...Since she was calling about his cell phone, she must have the number right? What a dummy I am!

WAIT A MINUTE! Why am I telling you all this? NOT THE INTENDED POST. Stop right now Patty.

LET'S START OVER.................

I have not spoken to my first husband in several years. As my two oldest children became adults there was no reason to, and let's face it most of us getting divorced do not remain the best of friends. I don't think that either he or I wished each other ill, there just was not any reason for us to keep in touch directly. Anyway, yesterday I got a blast from the past. My first husband called me. AND WE TALKED!

The reason he called doesn't need to be disclosed, neither does why he called me of all the people in his life. What is really important is that WE TALKED. As in two persons sharing ideas, giving and taking, listening, encouraging, VOICING UNDERSTANDING. You know, just like two regular people, NOT bitter exes! Imagine that!

You know how you hear about something, but until you go through it yourself you really don't think it could ever happen to you? Me too. As I said before, it isn't like we spent time being enemies, but talking like we did yesterday was never a part of our marriage (or if it was the openness was infrequent) and definitely not a part of our divorce. I am a big enough girl to admit that had I been able to do so we most likely would not be divorced today. But on the other hand, I also would not have had the rest of my life as I know it, and I would not be the person that I have grown into and enjoy being today. I have no regrets over my choices, and any sadness I feel about our divorce is for that hopelessly messed up nineteen year old that truly believed she was marrying her knight and shining armour who turned out to be slightly tarnished (aren't we all?), and she had no support or role models (let alone a clue) to help her handle the reality of marriage.

Do I think the two of us will start planning back yard barbecues or meeting for dinner? Probably not. I think of this more as a sweet little P.S. to our relationship, but mostly I look at this as huge growth on both of our parts. It would seem we both have learned something of what is really important in a relationship, mutual support and respect. Not only have we learned this we were actually able to treat each other this way. Amazing! I guess the old saying that "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger," has some truth to it after all.

So, if you have an ex that is driving you bonkers, or you are thinking of changing your title of spouse to ex and the conversations the two of you have are not of the highest quality take away hope from my experience. The time can come that the two of you will be not only civil to one another, but helpful. Look at your style of conversations and maybe ask yourself what you could improve that might just make the other person improve as well. Be the hero, set the good example. Did I do this all those years ago? Not much, if at all, but here is an opportunity to learn from someones mistake if you choose to utilize it. I believe that once you are married to someone, and especially if you share children, there will always be a connection between the two of you. The type of connection and the interactions the two of you have is the unwritten part, the part that becomes the "for better or worse" of your marriage vows, that CAN be re-written if your current conversations are not working for the betterment of both of you.

10 comments:

Daniele said...

Beautiful Patty. Thanks for sharing this. I'm always pleased to hear when former partnes DO get along after they split up, one a level that is individual to each couple of course.
Good for both of you, for having grown to the point where you can be friendly to each other (and hooray for him for calling you in the first place).
Next month we (my partner and I) are going to the wedding of one of my best friends. I'm a maid of honour and one of the witnesses. I love him dearly. We were a couple for 4 years up until 2004. Everything's possible!

Anonymous said...

That was wonderful--it really can be a chance to free old baggage when you learn that you no longer have to push or are able to push each other's buttons and can in fact be civil with each other. As you said once you share children with someone there will always be a connection. Good for both of you! (ORA)

Anonymous said...

Hello Miss Patty, thank you so very much for telling Random about the shoe website, the red ones are GORGEOUS!! :)

Salinna

T-girl said...

Hum, yes this works if both people are trying to make things better but if one partner is doing everything they can to improve communication, regrouping, taking notes of how things work from one time to the next (with no pattern btw of what works) and has made HUGE leaps to change the style of their own communication and the partner is more involved with beating the other partner down verbally and keeping up old habits then trying to make things better, then this will not work. If one partner refuses to talk about issues that arise ("I have nothing to say" and you are not allowed to express your views because of this) then hope is fleeting. Sometimes one needs distance from the situation to let go of the situation and deal with it in a more possitive manner but that is hard. Sometimes hope is in the form of former spouses having a nice conversation however many years later! ;)

Besides how does one talk about issues if the other partner turns off their phone and will not even speak to one to let them know when they expect to be home from a week long trip! Hope, does not feel overwhelming, when you know that you will be met by accusations, ignoring and basically being shut out once the spouse does return home.

Random Musings said...

Ugg ok T its all becoming clearer to me, and Patty this is great. Its good to see growth in people.

Has to be me said...

wow girl...u sure know how to handle life! :)

Patty said...

Dee,

And I thought I was progressive letting my second husband live with us for the sake of my daughter. You managed to maintain positive feelings just because it wsa the right thing for the two of you. You (and all involved parties) are special indeed, and set a great example for the rest of us.

Patty said...

Salinna,

How did you know some people call me "Miss Patty?" I think it is a throwback to the day when parents MADE their kids address adults by Mr. or Mrs. (and boxed their ears when they didn't), but are you old enough to remember that?

I thought you two might like those shoes. I have not seen them in person as of yet, so I hope they don't let me down!

Patty said...

Thanks Random, BTW, I thought of my questions for you.

Has to be me,

While most days I probably would think your comment a strech of the truth, it IS nice to think I HAVE indeed learned a thing or two after all my hard work. It is even nicer when folks like you (that is people that I thnk handle life extreamly well) send me a cyber pat on the back for my behavior. Thanks

Patty said...

Good girl T,

You read between the lines and got my message of hope.

You ARE loved, I promise!