Sunday, October 29, 2006

Life cycles on...............

At least for the moment, our sweet Cecil seems to be on the mend. I believe it to be a combination of love, being needed, and antibiotics. Whatever reason, I am glad.

Still not totally up to par, Cecil continued to preform his choosen job of offering comfort to our resident that passed away yesterday morning. I know that you might find this strange, but each time one of our past three residents was in the final days/hours of their lives, Cecil would go into their room and sit vigil. He was never intrusive, laying under their bed, or at the foot of their bed. Coming out to eat or potty, he would return to the death bed as soon as his needs were met. As in the previous two times, since yesterday morning he has been going about his usual business and has not been back into the room his beloved resident left when he went home to be with Jesus. Maybe once could be a coincidence, but three times? Animals are very instictual, and you will never convince me that Cecil didn't know exactly what he was doing. A hospice cat living among us, who would have thunk it?

Again I feel honored to be given the opportunity to assist a family through the death process, providing a peaceful environment in which they could create the experience they chose. Each death we have been a part of (that sounds strange, but you know what I mean) has been completely different in regards to process, and yet each one has been exactly what it needed to be for the people involved. Death, like life, is a dance in which one learns the steps as they go. There is no wrong dance steps, just different ones, each designed to support and comfort those involved. How great is that?

4 comments:

Sheri said...

You continually amaze me ! You are an angel!

Has to be me said...

thats a nice gesture of Cecil. Guess they can sense things better than us.

Anonymous said...

Patty, I know you tagged me but can find that post, can you help me pls...

Patty said...

Sheri,
Thought I knew who you were, but I checked out your blog to be sure. I also adore the book Love You Forever. It makes me cry whenever I read it. Have you read A Porcupine Named Fluffy? It is fabulous!

Has to be me,
Yes, Cecil is a great part of our caregiving team. Relaying his dedication to our resident's family gave them an additional sense of peace.

Shankari,

I am pretty sure the post is Weird, weirder, weirdest. If you go down the side of the page to where we have been you should find it at the bottom of the list.