Saturday, October 21, 2006

Early morning post.................

I have not had a sleepless night in some time, but I am just finishing up with one. I have two hours before I have to leave to do my breast cancer awareness walk, so I thought I would bring everyone up to speed on my world. Aren't you excited?

You may or may not know that in addition to October being Breast Cancer Awareness month, it is also National Physical Therapy Month. Even though I don't officially practice as a physical therapist assistant currently, I continue to try and stay connected to the profession.

To celebrate Physical therapy month, I contacted the hospice company that I work with and offered to do an in-service on transfers and range of motion for their staff. Since that is happening next week, I have been spending time preparing for the event. It has been a while since I have done any public speaking/service, and I am looking forward to it.

Got to share my cake story...............

A few weeks ago, I received an e-mail from a friend in which this guy was "searching for the person that baked that coconut cake at the Jana concert last year." My friend wrote, "Hey! This is you!" The concert was a benefit for the area hospice, and during intermission they had a bake sale to raise extra money. Well, on a whim, this guy bought my cake and took it with him to a wine tasting party the following evening. A year later he is again invited to the wine tasting, and the host says to him, "Any chance you could bring another one of those cakes?" OH YES! My head swelled so big I didn't know if it was going to fit through the door. And did I mention that he lives over an hour from my house? Okay, maybe not "world" famous, but at least county famous.

Anyway, we hooked up via e-mail and I told him I would be glad to make him another cake. He in turn donated to the breast cancer awareness walk/fundraiser. Earlier in the week, I kept telling myself that I had to dig out the recipe, and never managed to get beyond the thought. Well, Wednesday I went to the fridge to decide what to make for lunch, and there was a piece of paper laying on the floor. I picked it up to see what it was, and as you probably guessed it was the cake recipe. Sometimes I just can't believe how well my angels take care of me.

Coconut cake guy came this morning to pick up the cake, and brought his girlfriend (and adorable dog) with him. His girlfriend works in a senior care environment, and it was as if the two of us had known one another forever. Chat, chat, chatted away, until he finally told her they had to go. So, not only did I get an opportunity to bake for a good cause, but I feel like I have a new friend. Isn't that a great story?

So, after my night without sleep, I have a busy day ahead of me. First I have the three mile walk, and then I have the hospice memorial luncheon. This is a special event they hold every year to honor all of the loved ones they have cared for over the past year. Not having anyone currently on hospice I am looking forward to seeing the staff and catching up with them.

After that, I was going to go to a raw food cooking class, but I decided it best not to try and fit more in. In the evening, (my) Mister and I will be attending a fiftieth anniversary dinner for some wonderful friends of ours. It will be the first time in close to a year that the two of us have been out of the house at the same time. We are going to dress up and everything, just like a real date!

In our close social circle, I am the baby, and everyone else is seven to seventeen years older, with the honorary couple being the oldest. When I was about to marry (my) mister, lots of people gave me advice. I guess since it WAS my third marriage they had some kind of a right, right? Whether I wasn't listening to most of it, or have just forgotten, the one piece of advice I do recall I got was from the female part of the couple. She is a great seamstress, and was helping me make my wedding dress. As we were chatting she said to me, "Just remember... No one is perfect." To be honest, her words hurt my feelings at first. Not her intent at all! Knowing me as she did, and being a wise lady, she knew what high standards I held myself up to, and that I had a tendancy to do this with all of the people in my life. I think she was refering, not only to my soon to be husband not being perfect, but also that it was okay for me not to have to try so hard to be perfect. Over the years, when I am in the middle of having a meltdown over the latest thing not going perfectly, I have heard her words echo in my head and have been comforted by them. Okay, every once in a (great) while, I have even heard her words during a heated debate with (my) Mister and cut him a little (tiny) bit of slack.

Unless I am forgetting something, I think this should bring you all up to date for now. Hope you have a great day, as I am planning to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a whirlwind of activities. We had a long day yesterday. It is Diwali today for Indian, Also called festival of lights. About 50 friends and family got together to celebrate and got home real late.I have written a little about Diwali in my blog
Does it not feel lovely when somebody remembers your cake after a year. Can you share that lovely recipe with me?
I make a sweet with coconut that you might like, which I will share with you soon.
Have a wonderful day!

one4JC said...

I'm glad that all is going well for you right now. I hadn't commented in a while and thought I would let you know I'm here and still reading.

I've been busy running around doing those last minute things for the trip.

Whew! Are we there yet?

Patty said...

Hey Girfriends,

Thanks for the comments.

I will send you the cake recipe Shankari. It is not very complicated, but is a three step process, so before you begin to make it, make sure you pick a day when it is your husbands turn to do the dishes. I love coconut, but it is loaded with sugar so we are not eating it any longer. Unless of course your dish uses fresh coconut, then bring it on!

On4jc, doesn't it seem like yesterday that you were wrestling with your decision to go on this trip? And now it is FINALLY here!
Lucky little kiddies. Is there anything I can do for your last minute preps? Make sure you do everything you want to do as the "old you" before you go, because this trip is going to change you forever as the experience raises your heart vibration!

Love and hugs to you both.