Monday, October 23, 2006

Here is a funny story for you.......................

I have always been proud of the fact that I really don't care how I look. I am all about what's on the inside. It's cheaper, quicker, and helps one to blend in, in a crowd. Right?

While I am big on skin care, the only make-up I own are the things that come in those "free gift with purchase" that Lancome has every so often. At that, most of it has never been open.

I am not kidding when I say ninty percent of my clothes are either hand-me-downs from my kids, T-shirts from races, or deals from the thrift store. I own two pair of jeans one was a cast off from a friend, and the other pair is eight years old. My daily uniform consists of a T-shirt and shorts, so that if I do get the opportunity to run I can do so on a momements notice. Having made the commitment to grow out my hair for locks of love, it is driving me nuts, so I pull it all back in a pony tail and ignore it the best I can. Doesn't paint a very attractive picture does it now.

When I started doing my in home business, I actally made a pact with myself that I would make an attempt at being more put together on the outside. After all, I was a business owner now, wasn't I? I think that lasted less than two weeks before brain convinced the rest of me that it wasn't that important. I share this background with you to make the rest of the story funnier.

Over the last week, I have had extra time on my hands, and for the first time in I can't remember when, I have actually been spending a good share of it on me! Talk about progress. One day, I was having some reflective/meditation time, and the notion that what I have been doing (to my body) is a total renovation/re-model. Like a house, I have been ripping various parts of me down to the studs so that I might fix any structural damage. If any of you have ever done a re-modeling project you know that this is the part that is the most important, as it is the foundation for everything that comes later, but it is also the part that doesn't really show. At this stage of the game, the place keeps getting worse as you uncover all the flaws, and set a good foundation. It isn't until the drywall is up and one is ready for paint and trim that people checking out the project notice much difference.

While I still have a few areas to address, a big part of me is ready for paint and trim. For this reason, I have been playing with make-up and digging out "grown-up" clothes that I haven't worn in eight or nine years. Maybe, because they didn't fit for many of those years. It has been fun, seeing people's reactions to the tiny bit of make-up I have been wearing. I get comments like, did you color your hair, lose weight, get contacts, but not one has said, "are you wearing make-up?" I think because it is assumed that all females over the age of twelve wear the stuff, plus I am very subtle with it.

As I told you, I went to the Hospice memorial this Saturday past. Not only did I have "real" clothes on, I also had on make-up, and my hair was down. I was a little late arriving, but that is another (funny) story for another day. I snuck into the church unsure where to go, and saw the hospice aide that works for me. I went up to her and whisperingly ask for direction. As she began to tell me, she did a double take and stopped mid-sentence to say, "Patty, I didn't recognize you!" This happen a total of three times. The last time, I was walking into the kitchen after the luncheon to say hello to the social worker. She turned, noticed me, and said, "Can I help you?" I replied, Ya! I need a hug." It was only when I spoke that she knew who I was and she said, "Patty! I thought you were a real person" (as opposed to being one of the hospice team, because that is how they have mostly come to think of me.)

Part of me wonders just how bad I USED to look, but not any part that really gets a vote. This is what I need to be doing for now. I have also told (my) Mister not to get too used to it, because he might just come home from work to find that I have rearranged myself back to the old shorts and no make-up me. That is the cool part of renovating, once you learn the basics you can keep changing things up over and over as the mood fits you. What will you decide to change up today?

No comments: