Thursday, November 30, 2006

Loving my ordinary life....................................

Maybe it is Thanksgiving day leftovers, but I woke up this morning filled with gradtitude for my simple little life. Cold and rainy outside, I was comfy, safe, and warm in a house filled with love. No surprises awaited me as I meandered through my morning routine, another great comfort to me. Besides my pleasant surroundings, I have ample clean water, heat, lights, and nourishment. Who could ask for more than that? Me, of course. It is my wish that everyone in the world be able to have the kind of life that I have.

Growing up, I heard my share of "starving kids in Africa" stories, and the nightly news reports are full of horror stories. People all over the world are managing to survive without ample food or water. Every day people are enduring all kinds of abuse. And then there is me, often taking all the blessings in my life for granted, whining and caring on about how bad things are when I don't get my way.

My intent for this post was NOT to be a downer, but rather to put down in words that I DO know I am blessed beyond measure. Much of the time I take all the good things in my world for granted, expecting that they will be here for as long as I want them to be. Today I am acknowledging the fact that life can change in an instant. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow never comes, today is all we have. Rather than get all caught up in planning for someday, I am taking this day to appreciate all the good that has come my way. Today I am even willing to look at what some would call the negative and see the positive in it. Today I am here, in the moment, strong, content, and loved. Today I am blessed with magnificant grace. What about you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice write up Patty! Yep, we forget what we have and crave for what we dont. How did your daughter's anniv go?

Patty said...

Everything went just the way she wanted it to. The only blemish on the day was that she couldn't find her camera (ADHD strikes again), so we have to do what we have to do a lot... Take a picture of her in the outfit she wore the next time she wears it for her memory book. Twenty years from now who will know exactly what day the picture was really taken on? She will be thrilled that you ask about her day. Thanks.