Monday, November 13, 2006

Didn't know I was in Vogue................

Over the past couple of months, I have been having this uncontrollable urge to simplify my surroundings, and purge my house of "extras." What I didn't know (but learned in one of my yoga magazines) is this seems to be all the rage. Seems people are finally getting tired of our societies tendancy towards over consumption. Tired of having to work so hard to aquire stuff that they don't have any free time to enjoy the stuff they aquire.

I have a tendancy of having to be over the top when I do something for others. At potlucks, it is never good enough to bring just one dish, I have to bring a minimum of at least three. When people come over for dinner, I make a huge variety of dishes so that everyone might have exactly what they want. The only problem with this, is when we are finished eating the table looks as if nothing has been touched.

Is there really anything wrong with this? Only from the aspect that it is a complusion. One that doesn't seem to be all that satifying anymore. As I am learning to appreciate the simple things in life, my over the top tendancies are losing their importance. Or maybe I am getting lazy in my old age? And then there is the whole sugar issue to contend with...

Every year, for as long as I can remember, I have been super baker around the holiday season. It is nothing for me to whip out thirty different kinds of cookies and candies, and I HAVE to make at least a tripple batch of each kind. I use all of these goodies to make up boxes and give them to friends and neighbors for gifts. No matter how many I manage to give away, there are always tons of leftovers that I end up throwing out when the spring thaw hits. Oh! Did I tell you that since I make so much there is no other place to store it than in containers on the screened porch? Since we have turned the screened porch into living space, this year it would have to be in the garage which would mean we would probably have to park the car outside to have enough room for everything I would want to make.

Since I have been feeling and doing so well since giving up sugar, I feel that doing this marathon baking would be akin to deliberately harming people since there is nothing good about sugar/white flour except the taste. (I know, everyone reading this is saying, "the taste is the important part, bring on the sweets.") I have talked to my family and told them that they need to come up with a list of their top five favorites, as that was all I am making this year. The same for Christmas dinner. One desert instead of the normal five. Now I am wondering if I can actually stop at making just one? Well, okay, maybe two would be okay. It is Christmas after all. See what I mean?

Life is about growth and new learning, so this holiday season this will be my goal. I will focus on simplicity, and the concept that less can be more. Wish me luck, and if you notice me slipping up, call me on it okay? Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can understand your problem..When I have friends or family visiting, I cook up this whole meal with more then needed. But learnt from other folks to check if they would like to carry some with them for lunch or dinner and pack it up for them.So that way, I dont have too much of left overs.

Patty said...

When I am saying that most of the dishes look like they haven't been touched, I am refering to AFTER the guest have filled the take home containers with items of their choice. Do you have holiday traditional dishes that you over make as well?

Patty said...

Control? What's that? Oh, ya...That thing that I strive for at all cost. Just when I think I have let go of one thing, I realize that I have only transfered my control issues over to something else.

I think it is great that you understand what drives your actions. Understanding makes you healthy right?