Thursday, November 09, 2006

I had a dream.................

A few nights back, and the symbolism didn’t hit me until yesterday. Here’s the dream:

First, it is important to note that in this dream I was both observer and participant. I was watching myself eat a bowl of ice cream. The me that was eating the ice cream was doing so with gusto, relishing every lick of the spoon. The me that was watching was puzzled by the way the other me was enjoying the ice cream. Not in a judgmental way, just not understanding the appeal.

When I woke up, I pondered what the dream was about. You see, I really feel like I have kicked my sugar addiction. I haven’t had any sugar except from fruit in over two months now, or any white flour or processed/packaged foods. About the only time the thought of chocolate or other sweets enter my head is when I see a commercial for them, and when I do they hold no appeal for me.

I thought maybe the dream was expressing a repressed urge to eat ice cream, but decided not. The reason I decided this was not the case, is because I have not forbidden myself to eat these things, I just don’t care to eat them anymore. The change I have witnessed in my body has shown me first hand how much damage these foods do to me. I like the weight loss and fitness level that sugarless/non-processed foods has provided me. Would you eat poison on purpose?

Here is a fact… This is the first time in Halloween history that I did not eat one single piece of candy. That is pretty impressive in and of itself considering how much I would normally consume. What is REALLY impressive is that fact that I didn’t want to eat even one tiny piece. Gone are the cravings. Gone is the need to fight the urge to not have one more, then one more, then one more. It isn’t about willpower, it isn’t about denial, it isn’t about any of the hundreds of things all those hundred of diet plans I have tried in the past preached as gospel. It has simply become a non-issue.

That non-issue brings us back to the symbolism of my dream. Once the first couple of weeks pasted all the demons I have fought for as long as I can remember simply disappeared. Now I find it hard to recall why/how sugar had such a hold on me. If you have read my blog for any time I am sure you remember the posts about my love of chocolate, purchasing and comparing brands, totally consumed with having and then denying myself the pleasure of chocolate. What motivated that me no longer
motivates the me writing this post. Sugar has lost its stong-hold on me! Strange. Strange indeed.

Least you think I am a freak of nature (okay, I am, but focus on the subject at hand people), I want you to know that getting the sugar/ processed foods out of their diets has also been beneficial to (my) Mister and my youngest. My youngest continues to eat some sugar out of the house (and did sample the candy that she was handing out Halloween night). Every time she chooses to do this, she reports feeling sick afterwards. Another reason I equate sugar with poison now. (my) Mister’s blood pressure has dropped to a normal read, and he may even be able to lower the amount of blood pressure medicine he is currently on. Pretty impressive considering he has taken medicine to control his high blood pressure since he was nineteen years old. How monumental is that?

I would love it if everyone that has ever struggled with food could have what I have discovered, because it is one of the greatest gifts I have ever received. If you are interested in kicking the sugar habit, let me know and I will go into greater specifics of the changes I have made. Who knows, maybe I will feel the need to go into greater detail in a later post even if know one asks me to. This blog afterall is for me, and I just might feel the need to get the process down on paper at some time in the future.

No comments: