Thursday, June 28, 2007

A question to ponder.............................

This morning, out of the blue, the following question popped into my head:

Do you want what you want or do you tell yourself what you want is what you think you can get?

For example:

Do I say (and believe) that I would never want to be in my twenties again because I really don't, or have I convinced myself I feel this way because I know being twenty again is not an option?

Do I limit the things that come into my life because I consciously (or unconsciously) think they are out of my reach? How do I know that I don't want more than I have? What am I potentially missing out on by being content?

I feel so happy and blessed where I am right now. I don't "feel" at all like I am settling, and except for isolated moments of stress I wouldn't change a thing about the way my life is unfolding. This doesn't mean I am stagnant, or that I don't feel the need or desire to continue to grow and change. In fact, I look forward to doing so. I consciously invite new things into my life on a regular basis. Is there anything wrong with being happy in the moment while I wait for the next moment to arrive?

Having spent HUGE chunks of adulthood wishing my life away for various reasons I have to answer that last question with a resounding NO!

I have worked hard to get to a place in my heart where I can accept that things don't have to be perfect/complete/ideal to be enjoyed and appreciated. There is something of value in every single thing and the specific value of everything is often variable from person to person. The value of something IS always subject to change.

We love to make circumstances in our life bad or good when they often just are. Problems occur only when we fight the change instead of allowing it to happen in an environment of love and with a loving heart and nature. When we fight (anything) we end up missing out on (all of some of) the lesson it has for us.

So instead of freaking out with thoughts about what big picture the question might be telling me, I have invited the question to stick around for as long as it likes, make itself at home in my head, and let me know if it needs anything, kind of how I treat welcome house guests. I am too busy loving my life to spend lots of time focusing on one solitary question. If it has something of value for me it will just have to voice what that is, LOUD and CLEAR.

8 comments:

T-girl said...

I know that was all deep and stuff but for some reason the whole Farris Bulher "My boyfriends, sisters, cousins, brothers, wife saw Farris pass out at 31 flavors last night, evidently it is pretty serious!" flashed through my head! LOL

I know what you mean though. I just wrote up a sociology paper using the point that our mind is very powerful and how what we think can and does inpact what we get. ;)

T-girl said...

OH, I just read further down to catch up, seriously can that cat BE any cuter??? I want a kitty but Joci is still a bit too small yet for that, maybe in a year or so. Althought I am fairly certian a kitten would give her a run for her money, maybe I should consider it! LOL

Patty said...

Yeah! Wait a while for a kitten, like when you are through school and making big bucks.

My youngest told me her estimate is that in the first two months her FREE kitten is going to be setting her back close to $500.00!

Note to self...Watch Farris Bulhar one of these days so you know what people are talking about...

T-girl said...

OMG! YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN FERRIS BUHLERS DAY OFF!!!!!! That is like, one of the major high moments in life you MUST go watch that movie, it is so friggin' stupid it is deep and hysterical! LMAO It is a great paraody of teen angst and life in the 1980's. Seriously, Matthew Brodrick, well you will know why he is Matthew Brodrick after watching it! LOL

Oh, and the whole monolog... maybe it was better that you hadn't seen it because you would know that I messed it up pretty badly! LOL Still... get out and rent that movie TODAY!

I forgot to add, how did you get your kid like that? Come on, tell the secret, I need one that is that proactive/forward thinking at 18! LOL

T-girl said...

OMG! YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN FERRIS BUHLERS DAY OFF!!!!!! That is like, one of the major high moments in life you MUST go watch that movie, it is so friggin' stupid it is deep and hysterical! LMAO It is a great paraody of teen angst and life in the 1980's. Seriously, Matthew Brodrick, well you will know why he is Matthew Brodrick after watching it! LOL

Oh, and the whole monolog... maybe it was better that you hadn't seen it because you would know that I messed it up pretty badly! LOL Still... get out and rent that movie TODAY!

I forgot to add, how did you get your kid like that? Come on, tell the secret, I need one that is that proactive/forward thinking at 18! LOL

Patty said...

Funny T, Ferris was on as I was flipping through the channels last night, but I didn't want to start in the middle of it. I finally watched two of the Americian Pie movies about two months ago, and learned where 95% of my son's sayings originated from. I promise I will put watching Ferris on my things to do before I die list.

As too my youngest, I wish I could take more credit but I think I was just blessed with an "Indigo Child." Which is new age for "wise beyond her years."

For example, yesterday we were shoe shopping with one of her friends. Another friend didn't go because of a boyfriend break-up, the best we could figure because HE didn't want to have sex with HER. I was giving the two of them my advice to "Hold out as long as possible because foreplay is the best part and once you give in to intercourse you have to fight for the guy to give you enough foreplay" and my youngest and her friend was telling me how the 30 somethings in my youngest's CNA class and the friend's sister's friends could not believe they were 18 and still virgins. My youngest went on to tell me how she thinks that teen sex is ridiculous and W-A-Y too much drama.

I don't know that there is a formula for teaching this stuff, but I do know that is it helpful if you create a relationship in which you can tell your child anything and they are able to tell you what is on their minds even if you don't like it or really want to hear it. We might be a crazy family, but we are not a family that keeps secrets very well, and I think this is a good thing.

laluna said...

I like your attitude in this post...definitely wisdom beyond my current perspective. I tend to be a bit fickle (always wanting what I want especially if I can't get it).

During my current transitional phase, learning to relish the ride has been one of my biggest challenges...but when I allow myself to sit back and just go with it, as uncertain as things are, it's a great ride.

I agree...wishing one's life away is never a good plan...better to risk something and go after whatever it is that is occupying your mind. And if that thing (like going back to our 20's, God forbid!) is absolutely impossible, to focus on the good you have...or come up with a new wish!

Patty said...

Dear Farm Girl,

Interestingly enough since putting those thoughts down in print I have had several affirmatives come my way that it is indeed okay to be content in the moment, as well as appreciative of what you have. Maybe I am on to something?