Monday, June 25, 2007


The latest addition to our family..................................
Our hospice nurse is seeing the family of the kitty's mommy, who was unfortunately stuck by a car and killed. She rescued the four orphans and mentioned it to us. My youngest has been pestering for a kitty since Cecil's passing. I agreed but the financial burden and physical care is her responsibility (I L-O-V-E that she is an adult now). I get to play doting grandma having the joy of a little one around without the baggage that comes with it when they belong to you. You should have seen me playing with her when she was suppose to taking a nap earlier today.
My youngest settled on the name Francesca Belle (yes from Beauty and the Beast her favorite movie when she was a kid), Franny for short. Thank goodness I talked her out of Olive!
And YES! She is on my kitchen counter among the Sunday paper and the bottles of oil and vinegar that are too tall for the cupboard. I wasn't home when this was happening and after I threatened her (the youngest not Franny's) life I am hopeful it will not happen again. Still, even I have to admit she is darn cute in the picture.
On more pet news, Ben and Emma made their singing debut at this years "Ugly Dog" contest. In spite of a dose of stage fright and being more interested in the potpourri of smells on the ground they took third place, beat out by a dog that played patty cake,and one that took off his grandsons socks with his teeth! We are already working on next years trick and plan on taking home the grand prize now that they have had exposure to preforming in public. Please pass on any trick ideas that you know of for our consideration. Thanks!

7 comments:

Daniele said...

Franny is C U T E ! Adorable. What's wrong with being on the counter ;) ? Ricky is allowed ANYWHERE... cats have their own minds and I couldn't for the life of me teach him not to go on the table or counter (I tried).

Patty said...

I am sure my cat does the same from time to time, but I have taught him not to do it in front of me. I used the "pencil trick" and the notion is if they don't know where the "startle" came from then it scares them and they won't go back to the area again. When they are doing something naughty one is to hurl something at them to startle them and thus break the behavior. I use an (unsharpened) pencil and toss it at their backside so I don't hurt anyone or anything. It worked a lot better than putting down foil on the counter. The crinkling sound was suppose to do the trick, but Cecil used to tromp all over it without a bit of hesitation. On the other hand, he REALLY hated the pencil!

Anonymous said...

Franny is a doll! Just be sure I have the "pet instructions" along with the OP ones in the future, especially with a new arrival! I am glad Ben & Emma did so well at their debut appearance.

See ya' (ORA)

Patty said...

Don't worry about that. The youngest is VERY detailed in her instructions. She called me on her brake tonight to tell me to be sure and keep Fracesca Belle awake because she (F.B.) slept to much yesterday that she kept her (the youngest) up too late last night.

laluna said...

Very cute!!!! I'm a sucker for a kitten (I like all animals, but I've only had cats for pets).

Daniele said...

Some people suggested using a water pump.. you know one of those bottles that normally contains window cleaner or that sort of thing, fill it up with water, spray towards the cat when he does something naughty. They really don't like it. But you gotta have that bottle at hand at all times.. lol.. otherwise you miss your moment.
I got Ricky when he was 5 years old, so it's pointless trying to train him. Besides, he has me wrapped around his little paw completely anyway. God I miss that cat (he lives with D's mom, D is allergic, but I may have mentioned that on the blog).

Patty said...

Welcome Farm Girl,

With a name like that one might expect you to have had pigs and ducks for pets, but true farmers look at those species as food now don't they? Cat's are great pets to have, especially when one wants to go on vacation for a weekend. Cats can fend for themselves for a few days, dogs not so much.

Dee,

You are dead on about the water bottle never being handy when a good spraying is in order. And don't forget that the reason the cat doesn't like it is because they don't like being wet. I find I have the( same feelings regarding the floor dust bunnies, cobwebs) and furniture that get wet by default when one is trying to train the cat.

Didn't realize Ricky was so old when you got him. Can't you make the boyfriend get allergy shots so Ricky can come home again? Probably not...