Thursday, June 07, 2007

EMPTY NESTERS................................
Yup our little birdies have flown the nest and are on their own now, leaving a ratty looking nest in their wake.
(my) Mister has also flown the coop to head up and set up our command post (otherwise known as a camp site) for the upcoming 78 mile, six person trail relay this Saturday. The rest of the gang will be arriving at various points tomorrow. I will be getting two days off from OP care and am extremely excited to have another go at the tough trails. We are hoping to beat our time of thirteen hours something from last year. If none of us get lost it will be a piece of cake since at least an hour and half (or more...only three people owned up to having gotten lost at some point during the race) was spent lost last year .
We had a teammate that had to drop out of the race on Monday, but after a frantic couple of days (which is one of the reasons I have not been in blog land) she has been replaced with a new runner and we are back on track with last minutes Leg (who is running what) changes. I am scheduled to run a 7.3 mile gut buster and a 4.2 easy. I did the gut buster last year and insisted on doing it again this year. This time I know where to turn to get up the first cliff which will automatically take twenty minutes off my finish time. The race director told us there should be no rain so my fear of mudsliding down into the abyss has subsided. There is quite a distance of the trail where you run on a path just wide enough for one foot at a time, huge trees one after another on your right, and the cliff dropping off right to your left. I can't wait to run this again! The 4.2 will be a new route for me, but they say it is easy so how hard can it be (note: the other two that got lost did so on an "easy" leg)? I am sure you will hear all the details next week.
Until then, be safe, and stay well. I shall return with tales of the trail...Count on it!
P.S. I might even have graduation pictures to post one of these days, when I am able to hook up with the friend's mom again. How's that for dangling a carrot to keep ya all checking back?

3 comments:

Daniele said...

Oooohh this reminds me that I was going to take pics of my new bird feeders .. squirrel proof my $$$. The squirrel managed to open the top of the feeder, just pulled the lid off, and helped himself to as many peanuts as he could eat, as far down as he could reach. Naughty. *goes off to take pics*

Patty said...

That is too, too funny! Does the company have a place where you can post feedback so you can let others know to save their money to replace the food the the squirrels eat from the old feeders? That would be a great public service to all of us that feed the birds.

Daniele said...

Well, it is true that the squirrel can't reach inside the globe that is protecting the tube on the inside containing the nuts. The birds can get in, the squirrel can't. What they don't say is that squirrels are very very clever and always always find a way! He had to unhook the entire feeder (attached with 2 hooks on top of the lid), to get to the lid, then lifted the lid and removed the nuts. I admire that, on one hand, and yet it pi@@es me off on the other hand ;)