Saturday, May 03, 2008

A funny thing happen on the way to pick up my truck..........................

I have my truck back again, and the repair was (only) $700.00. Considering that the guy was talking potential thousands I feel blessed. The final amount was only a $100.00 over what we had for the trip, so I don't buy any shoes this month (pick yourself up off the floor Random... I will be fine!), and we are golden. But on to the story...

Having finished the book A New Earth, I have been trying hard to be "in the moment," "live the present." I must have a ways to go yet. My youngest got a speeding ticket earlier in the week. I know she told me of the details, but I didn't really pay attention to them. On the way to pick up the truck, yours truly was also using her lead foot and was stopped by Mr. "Officer Friendly" himself. I sat in the car REFUSING to give into the self directed anger and stupidity of the moment. If he wrote fast, I could still get the truck and make it to the coffee place to pick up beans before they close. Coffee is a necessity in our house. With four "heavy drinkers (of coffee of course), we are always running out of coffee (and toilet paper, but that is another story).

See, I have gotten over speeding tickets years ago. I consider myself a safe driver (don't we all?). I wasn't going 110, he had me at 13 miles over, on a country road, no other cars in site (Queen of justification when it comes to breaking the law). Remember the line in the song, "I can't drive fifty-five?" I speed sometimes. For every time I get caught, there are probably hundreds of times I have "gotten away with it." Since I am still running a good average I am not going to let it ruin my day. After all, someone had to help nice officer friendly reach his quota for the month. This month I took my turn. I will admit my patience was running a little thin by the time he got the written ticket to the car. As he was explaining the procedure in his friendliest voice (one of these times I REALLY and going to tell one of them I don't need their charity, just write the damn thing for the full-on over speed, instead of GENEROUSLY writing it for ONLY five miles over, blah, blah, blah...), I cut him off with a curt, "I've done this before," took the ticket out of his hand and started the car to his patronizing words of, "Drive safely now." I told my youngest if I had more time I would totally speed out of there just to show him I don't give a rat's ass about the ticket, but since I don't... OH! YA! I have a ways to go with all this Zen stuff!

So, we continue our drive down the road only nothing looks familiar. This is the same road I broke down on (was it last week or two weeks ago) and I drive it often. It took me a couple of minutes to figure out it didn't look familar because I had missed the road I wanted to turn on so my mind was looking for those landmarks. Back tracking, the silly road was BEFORE where I had my stand-off with the law (another old song, "I fought the law and the law won!"). Had I been in the moment instead of blabbing off about the identity thief I (potentially) could have avoided the entire matter. My youngest then reminds me that her experience was exactly the same, she missed her turn and was pulled over past that point so also could also have avoided her experience (different county, different cop, two days prior). How's that for mother daughter bonding?

Totally spoiled beyond belief, we presented our tickets to (my) Mister yesterday (she also gave him a check out of her account) so he could call on them and get the fines in the mail. I told him of my desire to ask for the full speed charges and he turned a little green. Have I told you that (my) Mister is THE MOST law abiding citizen I know? I promised to try and stop myself before actually doing it.

Not five minutes after (my) Mister informed me that the charge for my ticket was $110.00 I opened an e-mail to find I had been gifted the second level Reiki class which (of course) costs $110.00 EXACTLY! How can I act like such a brat and still get all these blessings??? Who's questioning? I'm not questioning... Only gratitude here.

Ya all drive safely now...

12 comments:

Random Musings said...

I am not ashamed as I too have only ever purchased only 1 pair of shoes on line. I need to see them, feel them its a very personal matter for me!! And its half the fun.

About the identidy theft. Its a lost cause. I went into the store that my stolen credit card was used when this happened to me and the police could not "prove" the card was stolen EVEN THOUGH the lady at the store that had ran the car agreed that she had NEVER seen me in her life and they had it on video.
It was a wasted cause for me..
Good luck though!

Anonymous said...

Well... I'm afraid the news is bad. Like Random said basically. I work in Fraud detection as you may know and your only chance is to report it to the police hope they are competent enough and willing (that's the bigger part) to follow up on it.
The company as such won't give you any information, but they're obliged to collaborate with law enforcement.
Good luck.

Patty said...

While I agree with both of you from a "worldly, the laws are not in support of the victim" point of view, it makes me even more determined to see this thing through.

Maybe alone we are screwed, but if we all ban together to change things. I will continue to hold this up with positive vibrations. Maybe I will not be intrumental in directly shutting this thief down, but by continuing to pursue it I might play a smaller role. That is what happen when I reported suspected abuse. They could not "prove" that case, but having the complaint on file allowed them to recommend closing the facility a year later. We have no choice but to get involved.

Maria said...

I am infuriated FOR you. This is obscenely unfair. And it could happen to any of us at any time.

I get freaked out about other things too. Like..when I wrote an e-mail to one of my sisters and we were discussing what to do about our niece who we suspected was using drugs. For months after that, I recieved spam in my e-mail about drug test companies and products and half way houses, ranches for troubled teens.

I was baffled and a little scared.

Big brother?

Good luck, Patty. Fight the good fight.

Patty said...

Man! That is VERY freakish Maria. I often wonder the same thing (Big Brother) when I am on the phone and it starts crackling or doing other weird things.

I guess what makes me the most frustrated is that most everyone has either been a victim of identity thief, or knows of someone that has, and yet there has not been a workable system put in place to defend against it.

The next time I go on vacation I will be going back to old fashioned cash and travelers checks but that doesn't protect me from all the other places I use my debit card around home does it.

And we call this progress?

The Girl Next Door said...

For every thing we "create" that is possitive there also has to be a part of it that is non-possitive. It is the yin and yang of the matter. ID Theft is that yang so to speak, to many of us spend way to freely (I am not saying YOU, I am refering to society as a whole here)as if a credit card is money we have when in fact it is borrowed and belongs to someone else, to balance that we have ID Theft. The fact is before Credit people were knocking off banks, sneaking into homes etc more often. It is the whole yin-yang thing. I in no ways feel it is right, again these people seem to feel that someone else's possession (sp?) is free to them however it does balance out the scales of our consumer driven society. That being said, if you can do something about it you should, the companies make it hard to protect themselves and while it is unfair to the person who is a victim of the theft really you can not blame the companies as if it was easy the theifs would easily bankrupt them. I am assuming you filed a police report, now don't give up, write a letter to the president of the company! I did this when I was cheated by Better Homes and Garden, also send a letter to the BBB... it is amazing how quickly they change their tune when the president and BBB get involved. BH&G awarded me back the money and cleared my account (they stated I had ordered a butt load of things I NEVER ordered, nor recieved, billed me, kept clearing my account only to have it the following month re-instated etc. I was overseas at the time and it cost me hundreds in phonecalls plus time as I had to wait until the middle of the night to call... I made sure he knew this! LOL) All in all what I guess I am saying is use your tools imaginatively, many people don't think about the other alternatives to fight and if you keep your tone professional, light and concerned generally they cave, especially when their president is involved! ;) Sorry I don't fight fare, it is the military in me I follow thier chain right to the top and if it suits my needs, once I have exausted a few levels I finally just go to the top if I am making no headway at the lower levels... I am a major bitch that way, don't mess with me! LOL

Patty said...

Would NEVER mess with you T-girl. You are the one with boxing gloves on her blog picture!

Just a reminder... Debit card, NOT credit card... 5.5 years of being on the wagon in regards to the use of credit.

The Girl Next Door said...

LOL Well debit... credit.... many view them as the same thing then wonder why they have no money! Want proof? Feel free to look at my joint bank account with loser boy... I mean my darling soon to be ex! LOL He seemed to feel that a debit card had a Visa/MC attatched so he could spend it at will, that is what overdraft is for you know! Of course he felt that way about the other credit cards he aquired also. It is funny, I walked away with absolutly NO debt as far as those things go and HE seemed to feel confused at why HE had a mountian, it isn't fair you know! What I feel isn't fair is I paid off those damn cards so many times you could buy a house with the money and even a few extra things to furnish it. The book (A New Earth) was written for him I am fairly possitive but you know what... not my problem anymore!

Patty said...

This is why I "preach" to my youngest to check out a guys finances BEFORE falling in love, so that she isn't picking up not only his past debt, but also his bad habits. Some people might not think this romantic, but what do couples fight more about than money?

Random Musings said...

ok why are my old comments showing on this one??
Don't worry I will take pictures of all mine for you to enjoy...lol
Serious though, I am going to go on a sabbatical of no shoes shopping for a bit.. its time...

Patty said...

NO clue what happen to the other post. I can't see it.

Maybe you can cut down while on Vacation so you don't have to worry about shipping them home? That is a long enough sabbitical isn't it?

Maria said...

Okay...I admit that you are certainly doing something right here....

Maybe you could send me some numbers to play the lottery? :)