Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Time is a great healer..........................

This past weekend was a joyous, celebratory one for our family. My oldest daughter received her Master's degree from Notre Dame. Twenty-nine and ready to tackle the world!

Unable to find a suitable caregiver for the level of care our current respite resident requires (my) Mister volunteered to miss the festivities, so my youngest and I headed off to South Bend on Friday to attend a banquet for the 20 Master's recipients, a family picnic on Saturday, and the actual graduation Sunday morning. My oldest daughter's dad (and family) joined in for the picnic and graduation activities.

For those of you in the middle of a stressful relationship with an ex/soon to be ex these next words are for you. It does/will get better. When I checked in with (my) Mister on Saturday he ask what I was doing and I (jokingly) replied, "Bonding with my ex over charcoal."

The original plan was that dad be in charge of the grill. Stuck in traffic, we moved on to plan B and started the coals. When they arrived the first of the chicken was on, and the oldest "didn't know how to tell if it was done," so I took over. After the initial hellos, I noticed dad sitting in a lawn chair. Without really thinking about it, I went over, put my hand on his shoulder (maybe should have thought about doing that with the daggers I felt fly out of the eyes of his wife, but what's done is done), and said to him, "~~~ was totally planning on you being in charge of the grill, we just got things started while you finished the drive. Feel free to jump in anytime and take over for me." "Really?" he said, I brought my apron. It's in the car," and he was up and gone to get it in a flash (I REFUSE to comment on the fact that he had to have an apron in the first place, especially since he tied it at his waist instead of over his neck... Trying to be nice here).

So there I am, minding my own business, enjoying the sun along with a little spiked cranberry juice when dad says to me, "We're going to need a hotter fire. Any suggestions?" WOW! It's been over twenty years since the man voiced any need of my opinion or help (NOT that I can say it has been over twenty years since I offered it anyway, but...). Gotta tell you it was a little strange...

And then it wasn't.

Everything sorta shifted, and while not totally normal, it seemed right somehow, fitting that we would be sharing in the preparations and celebrations of our first born. That took center stage as all the bitterness, anger, and pain, took it's rightful place as a distant memory of what once was, but now isn't needed. Though morphed somewhat, we will always be connected to one another through our children, even as they progress through adulthood. What a blessing it is to be able to share in the joy of their accomplishments without the burdens of the past.

So, feeling all proud and happy over my oldest daughter's accomplishments, my wish for all of you out there in a painful relationship is that it not take twenty years for you to find the peace that her father and I seemed to have found with one another.

7 comments:

maynard said...

Thanks, for your posting. Perfect timing for me. Although I have been working on it. Seems like a long time is going to be need to get to that place you were at this weekend. Being at the ball park for games now is a stretch at times for me this year.

Anonymous said...

Good for you and he--also congrats to T!!!! What you describe is I think called "growth"--it is healthy and certainly far less stressful than all of the harbored anger. It does take time though and is also a part of healing that everyone has to go through after a break up. The ones that truly benefit are the children, it really doesn't matter how old they are. Good Job!! (ORA)

Patty said...

Maynard,

I was in your place once upon a time and understand the why behind, "why can't I just let ___ go?" This post was totally to say hang in there, and give a message of hope for easier encounters in the future.

ORA,

Thanks, and I will. Coming from a woman that became great gal pals with a "first wife," it especially means a lot.

The Girl Next Door said...

Wow! What a weekend and a blessing to your daughter! I never was given that "we don't hate eachother, life moves on" vibe from my own parents, although both Jay and I were a bit shocked to see them hanging together and offering support during the terbulant birth of our daughter. It was nice to know that for that few hours they bonded over the near miss of their only child! LOL

I needed this also, I am working on being "friends" with Jay. That is my new goal in life, I refuse to give in to his theatrics of how much he wants to "win!" I also have a mediation appointment in a few hours and he is not presenting the "best" of moods towards me, in fact he is blatantly flaunting his need to rebel as if he is a child. I have now accepted that I am his target for all his frustrations of life and have become teflon! LOL

On another note, despite the apron, I think it is rather cute about the barbie. Seriously, I just have this image of him lighting up when you said he could take over and running to the trunk of his car to get the apron so he could cook for his little girl! I am proud of you, the first step to peace is often the hardest and recognizing his need to be apart of the special day for the child you created together is a BIG start on that path!!!! So many times as divorced/divorcing parents we forget that the child was created in love at the time of conception and while that love was not strong enough or deep enough to last it is important to respect that moment in time for what it was and the gift it brought you! So "yeah you!" :)

Patty said...

Thanks for the kind words Teflon!

Despite my personal feelings, I always somehow managed to not speak negative against my ex or his new wife/life to my children as they grew up, and for that I am grateful. You are way ahead of me in already being at the working on being friends with your someday-to-be-former. Your daughter is going to be the big winner as you succeed at this, but you will gain much from it as well. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your daughter! What an accomplishment. I bet you're incredibly proud and so you (both) should be.
And what great experience for you and dad too. I think it's remarkable when 'exes' get along.. and I have experienced first hand how beautiful and rewarding that can be. It doesn't work for everyone, but if you can/want to make it work, it can be a good relationship to have.
Trying to imagine him in the apron.. it's equally silly to me, doesn't matter where it's tied ;)

Patty said...

Hey Dee,

In resprospect the apron is probably no more silly than what he likely thought about me walking back to the car after graduation wearing a hat, mittens, and barefoot. No one bothered to inform me that we would be walking MILES to and from the car before I settled on the PERFECT graduation heels. Four(4) blisters later I still think they were the hottest shoes on campus, and well worth a few blisters!