Thursday, May 15, 2008

Manifesting gutters...........................

We need new gutters for our house. I am sure that the ones currently attached (if you can still call them attached) are the original to the house. As of last Saturday, I had done nothing about the gutters except for writing the need down on my list of expected summer purchases, with the desire that we would have the funds for them this June.

A friend of a friend showed up Saturday afternoon, canvasing for a construction company and ask if it would be okay to send someone out Monday to give us an official estimate. Why not? Especially when we were assured we would be getting the friends and family discount.

The guy showed up Monday evening (They have to have both wife and husband present. Do you think that either would really buy gutters without the other one being aware? I know halves of couples that have been known to sneak shoes or tools into the house without getting caught, but gutters?) I really try and not judge people, but this man simply dripped sleaze. He gave off that vibe of the older guy that is still trying to be a chick magnet when you know full well he wasn't even a chick magnet in his twenties. Bold, gold jewelry, shirt with one button too many open at the neck, bad, bad, dye job. I fully understand how hard a job in sales is, and that it must be terrible to be told no all of the time, but this guys problem went much deeper than that. You would be proud that I didn't wipe my hand on my pants after shaking hello, but I digress from my story.

It took him all of five minutes to measure our house and come in with his little gutter model. The gutters are shot, I get that, but to hear this man talk, our roof (less than 12 years old) was also in complete disrepair and desperately needed replacing. And goodness knows what damage the company would be finding once the old gutters where taken off the house. CRAP, CRAP, CRAP! Designed to scare us into a purchase. I was polite, simply smiled at him and told him he might be correct, but we would not be getting a roof this year.

In case none of you have looked into gutters lately, they now have a kind that has a type of shield designed to keep debris out of the gutter. His estimate for this kind of gutter was over six thousand (NO! not a typo) dollars, the old fashion kind coming in at over three thousand bucks. Fortunately, (my) Mister is used to by assertive ways, because after I picked my jaw off the floor I calmly looked at him and said, "I think that price is too high and we can do better than that don't you?" He mumbled an agreement, not speaking clearly I think because he was still in shock at the price. Can you imagine his quote without the family discount? Me neither.

Tuesday morning (my) Mister called and told me he found someone else to give us an estimate and they would be coming over after dinner to give us another quote. This young kid shows up in shorts and a T-shirt, polite beyond belief. He kinda looked familiar, and when he told me his VERY unusual first name I ask him his last name and discovered I knew his family well and had "known" him since he was about five years old. He told us it would take him about twenty minutes to measure the house and come up with an estimate, and we actually saw him going around the house and doing so, unlike the last guy. When he came in he had a couple of questions about the current placement of the down spouts, and while he wasn't showing off, one could tell by the way he talked that this kid knew his gutters, and he wasn't just a sales person.

Ready for the good part. As we were talking, okay, I mean while I was telling him about the other estimate we had received, (my) Mister made the statement, "Ya! I was looking through the phone book for another company and your ad just sort of jumped out at me." I looked at (my) Mister and said, "You know that was divine intervention don't ya?" and the kid never missed a beat. And ya, his out the door price for the same system was two thousand two hundred. A four thousand dollar difference. His company will be installing new gutters on our house the second week in June.

My point of boring you all with this tale of two gutter companies? Pay attention to the intent you set. Like I said in the beginning, I had written down that we needed new gutters and I would like to get them in June, but the rest of the story happened without me doing another thing and hardly giving the process another thought. Make sure, once you determine a need, that you pay attention to what comes to you. I have had things come into my life only to leave before I realized it was an answer to a thought or request of mine. Lots of times I think we not only have a need, but a notion of exactly how that need is going to get fulfilled. Sometimes this can lead to our missing out on special blessings, and sometimes the need itself.

So, in my quest to turn you all into manifesters, sent an intent for something. Write it down, stay positive, and mostly stay open to the way in which it will come to you. And make sure you let me know what happens.

No comments: