Sunday, July 08, 2007

Outing myself....................................................

Fake snake skin, black leather Coach wedges! Fabulous!
Coach tennies... They are so pretty it will be a shame to wear them and get them dirty won't it?
70% off, on Visa debit ...Finally a pair of black shoes that my youngest just LOVES...Priceless!
Guess who couldn't resist these little beauties. Wrong... They belong to my youngest.


In my last shoe post I ask Dee to share some of her bag collection to me and her reply was that to do so would in some way be "outing" herself. In that same post I stated how I didn't need designer shoes and was perfectly content with great priced, cute warehouse brand shoes. The very next day my youngest and I went to a store to check out the seventy percent clearance racks as she needed some new shorts. What did we find but two pair of Coach shoes, sixty percent off with an additional store coupon for another fifteen percent off. We got these $178.00 shoes for $66.00 (and that is with tax).

Two reactions I had while in the store that evening, both really surprised me. First I had an actual physical rush thinking that I could add these shoes to my collection without breaking the bank. I honestly think had I checked my blood sugar it would have been elevated because about twenty minutes after purchasing these shoes I had the come-down that often accompanies eating a sugary candy bar and couldn't stop yawning and feeling sleepy.

The other reaction I had was that since my pleasure at getting these shoes was so high I sorta felt I had (unintentionally) lied about my feelings regarding designer shoes and having done so I would need to come back to you all and confess my sins. How strange is that?

But in my defense...

If you look at the a fore mentioned post, I did say that I would LOVE to get a pair of Jimmy Choos if he would give them to me at eighty percent off. I also have never before been in a position of being able to acquire a really expensive (to me anyway. I know this stuff is all relative) pair of shoes, so prior to the actual experience I was going on my perception of how I believed I would handle a situation that I had never actually had. Everyone has found themselves in this position at one time or another. Right?

The bigger lesson in all of this is to be careful when passing judgement. It is easy to imagine how one would handle a certain life circumstances. How often have we heard a horrific news story and thought, "I can't believe they could do _______. I would NEVER have been able to be/act/do ________."? Unless, and until a person can duplicate the exact same life circumstance/reactions to circumstance, one can't really speak to what they might do or how they might react. Since each of us has a slightly different slant on things on mutual life events we can never really speak to how we would have handled another person's actions. What we can do is be grateful that we have not reacted in a way that is against social norms/behaviors, and remember the line, 'There but for the grace of God go I."

Man, some people will go to amazing lengths to justify their shoe purchases now, won't they?

8 comments:

Random Musings said...

OK I LOVE AND WANT THE BLUE SHOES SO BAD!! I WILL PAY YOU TO BUY THEM AND THE SHIPPING!!! I have been eyeing those guess ones in the white since they came out but I could not PAY full price? Was there a size 7???? (my size in Guess shoes don't ask how I know..lol)

Random Musings said...

Ok sorry got sidetracked by the BLUE pretties. The coach ones ARE FABULOUS!! And what a buy..
***sigh** the husband just asked me what I was GASPING at..lol

one4JC said...

A very wise friend once said to me, "One4JC when you start a sentence with 'In my defense' you already sound guilty even if I wasn't thinking you were wrong in the first place."

We all have our own little things...shoes are not mine LOL...however I can understand.

Side note: Must=already done... per the post and personal note to you

:o)

Daniele said...

Love the blue ones! And I admire anyone who can walk in those heels. I will 'out' myself and post pics of the bag collection. Well maybe not all of it.. but a few ;)
Went to a second hand shop and got a very cute small bag on Saturday. (by GUESS, probably 80% off its regular retail price).

Patty said...

Oh you guys! I love you all, and just found out all of your comments went to my junk mail instead of my inbox. HOW DARE THEY?

Ramdom, I am thinking the blue ones might be size 7. Maybe they just might find their way into your suitcase when you visit? I will check and see if I can find you a pair. They were some rediculous price like $14, and you can't wear heels until after the marathon so I can keep them for you if I find them. And wait until you see the other guess ones I got. They are a brown fabric but have little sequins and a bow up the back of the heel. SO SEXY! The youngest deleated that pic and I was too lazy to take another.

Dee, thanks for sharing your collection. The Zebra one is to die for (as long as no Zebra actually died for it. I don't need any comments from animal rights people), but my fav is the flowered one.

One4JC, wasn't I the friend that said that to you? NO? Well I know I said that to someone before. Of course I know I was busted. Just trying to soften the confession a bit!

Patty said...

One more thing One4JC... Wasn't a certain food item from Jamica your something at one time? Did you ever figure out a way of getting some her in the states?

Who can't understand passion? Let's just hope husbands don't ever ban together to pass a law making shoe shopping illegal. Can you imagine the riots in the streets? Random and I would be leading the charge to preserve our rights I'm sure!

one4JC said...

OH I am still addicted to those Jucci Patties! Make no mistake about it!

I have had to settle for the generic ones from the little Caribbean store down the street...At least they aren't in the same section with the goat meat anymore.

And the comment? No it happened to be someone I paid money to on a semi weekly basis to help me regain my bearings after too many miscarriages.

But it does sound like you...

Patty said...

I'm sure sitting next to goat meat sounds MUCH worse than it actually is!