Monday, July 09, 2007

Destiny or Desperation?..............................

I will be the first to admit that time has a way of getting away from me. When I hear things on television about this or that anniversary I am always blown away that that much time has passed, even though one might think I would have come to terms with it and instead think, 'Wow! I've gone and lost track of time again."

So a few days ago I get the notice that it is (ALREADY) time to renew my physical therapist assistant license. This happens every two years, and it seems like I just did this a couple of months back. Notices don't lie, so I guess not.

Right after graduation I sat for the exam and got my license from a neighboring state. My state does not require a PTA to be licensed, but I have this insane test anxiety and I figured it was better to take the test when the learned info was still with me than risk the day that my state demanded licensing and I wouldn't be able to pass the test. I have been keeping the license current since 1996, just in case.

I have not officially practised as a therapist for close to four years now, and have no plans to do so anytime in the future, but I want to keep the option open to me in case. Two years ago instead of simply paying a fee to renew the license the state added a requirement of continuing education credits. While I am not object to this addition, and do believe in and participate in continuing education, the problem comes in that none of the classes I take in my state meet the other state's requirement. I need to take classes on their list which means extra travel and hotel expenses above the cost of the classes.

Long story short, I found a class of interest but is it worth the time and money just to keep a license that I don't plan on using? The class is a Thai massage class, and the best part is that in one three day weekend I can get seventeen of the twenty needed credits. The class sounds interesting, and will certainly build on the massage degree I already have, but how valuable will it be if I take the class and then don't use the skills?

Since I can't logically justify the expense for something that MIGHT come in useful SOMEDAY, I am choosing to take a more Zen approach that maybe this is an answer to the new career that I have been thinking of beginning to tune up for, so when I am finished with OP care I am ready to move on with my next hearts desire. Maybe I will take this class out of desperation, and end up finding my next destiny. Maybe the universe has thrown me a crumb and I am to follow it to my next life path. Maybe this class will be the best thing to EVER happen to me.

Or maybe, I am about to shell out big bucks to quiet the fear of the slight possibility of having to take a test somewhere in the future.

The only way I am going to find out is to do it. So I will.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Continuing education is always a good thing. Maybe you will like it, maybe not. At least, you will have learned something.

maynard said...

Greetings Can you send me your email I have some questions to ask you in reference to your job, and some situations we have encountered with a family member of ours that would probably qualify to stay with you but you are to far from us. I monitor the comments to my site so it will not get posted. Thanks, Maynard

Patty said...

Will do to both comments!

Therapist Mumbles said...

I have to take CEUs also. These days I get most of them over the web. When I got to conferences that sound good I find that it's usually the old stuff in a new package. Maybe I'm too old.

I think I could use a Thai massage though.

Patty said...

Yes therapist, I can gain credits from the web, but only up to half of the needed twenty, then they require face to face credits.

When I got my regular massage certificate I had to do lots of volunteer massages. I will be traveling to CO and SD in august, for a race. Maybe if you are nearby...Do you have a Thai mat? The ones in the pictures do not look like they would fit in the overhead compartment of the plane.