Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Earth angels, a continuation................................

So, here I am standing on a sidewalk watching my truck being driven away, and it occurs to me part of this weekends blessing had become known to me earlier. Remember that I was to stay at a hotel and it ended up that there was a cancellations at the school? Had this not been the case, I would have had to figure out a way to get to and from the hotel or sleep on the street. I was so grateful for not having that worry. I sent up a quick prayer of thanks and burst into class (with all my crap I sorta fell through the doorway) only an hour and a half late.

Since there were actually four instructors I was able to be brought up to speed on what I had missed, and soon the class was ending and I was meeting my roomies for the weekend (up to three people could stay at the school). One woman was a massage therapist, that had an incredible intuitive nature about her, and the other woman, I have to call a girl as she was young enough to be my daughter, had discovered marshal arts and this had led her to go to Japan to teach English for two years. She was full of wonderful stories about her experiences there and all the places she had visited while on that side of the world.

I had called (my) Mister and told him what I had done with the truck, gave him the info for the body shop and ask him to contact them in the morning so I could focus on the class and not worry about missing phone calls, etc... A moment for an aside... (my) Mister grew up locking car doors, and in an environment where cars being stripped for parts was not that foreign of a concept. All he said to me was not to worry, he would call the guy in the morning, and everything would work out. When I got home, my sister told me that when he was telling her about my adventure his comment was, "She is so trusting." I know he said this partly in admiration of this ability of mine to trust, but I am sure there was at least a hint of IS SHE NUTS? in there somewhere because of his background. I applaud him for the great job he did of putting his personal feelings aside and supporting me in my time of need. Thanks honey.

So, next morning, I called home before class and got the news that the truck should be fixed by noon. I have to say I felt a wave of relief flow over me hearing that the truck had not only made it to the intended destination in one piece and could be repaired, but WAS being repaired. The morning class flew by and at the lunch break I called the shop to be sure the repairs were finished. This was my first encounter with my second earth angel of the weekend...

The truck was indeed finished, and the mechanic (Sarge) offered to come and pick me up and drive me back to the shop to get the truck. No, you don't need to clean your glasses, he came and picked me up, no charge, just because that was the kind of person that he is.

The alternator was what had gone out on the truck and the cost for parts and repairs was under three hundred dollars. I had had visions of it costing thousands, with me having to take funds out of my brick project to pay for the repairs. This amount wasn't much more than I had originally planned to spend on a hotel so I was thrilled. When we got to the shop and I had completed the paper work, Sarge gave me directions to get back to the school and sent me on my way. I later found out that when I left he called (my) Mister and told him that I was on my way back to the school with the truck, and then gave me a follow-up phone call to make sure I had made it back and had not gotten lost along the way. Since I am sure every single one of you have received crappy service in the past I know you can appreciate that again I got an angel that went above and beyond what his job description entailed. Unbelievable!

Are you calling me lucky right about now? Thinking about how terrible this might have turned out? I prefer to call it being loved and protected. I also like to think that my being open to the notion that the weekend had been given to me to move me along on my life path assisted in the outcome. One of the things I have had trouble with (left over from my childhood) is an ability to put my well-being in another's hands. I can be fiercely controlling and independent and not let others help me with problems. Being placed in this situation the control factor was pretty much taken away from me and in the end I was sweetly rewarded with a renewed faith in my fellow man.

I believe what we put out into the world is what we get back. By trusting, I received trusting people. By striving to do good deeds and go above and beyond in my daily interactions with others I was blessed with the same behavior being shown to me. I am blessed beyond belief, and I am filled with gratitude for this experience.

Before you get the impression that I think I am the new Mother Teresa, let me jump in to say that is not the case at all, and if you don't believe me ask someone I live with on a daily basis. I am not perfect, I really don't even want to be. I screw up, get mad, sad, jealous, etc... But I am trying folks. I am working to foster the right spirit in my interactions with others. Working on me, and working to let them be them. I am trying to keep my heart in the right place and see the world through the eyes of love. Even when I take one step forward and then four steps back, the intention is there and the universe can sense this and sends things to me to assist me with my quest.

Most of the time it isn't the big things that change our lives even though that is often where we keep our focus. It is the little things that reach people. Waiting a few extra seconds to hold the door for the person with their arms full. Letting the person with two items jump ahead of you in the check-out lane. Or how about this one...

On my way out of town last Friday, I stopped at the coffee shop to get a cup for the road. At the 5K I had done the weekend before I had received a coupon in my goody bag that was for buy one coffee, get one free. Not needing two cups of coffee I had ask a little prayer on my way into the store for someone to be in line that I could surprise with a little treat of a free cup of coffee.

There she was, right in front of me. I ask her if I could buy her a cup of coffee, and she looked at me like I was nuts. As I explained about the coupon she agreed and then told me I had saved her from getting her favorite (calorie heavy) drink. Seems she didn't want to cause me to spend too much on her. I insisted she get what she wanted, and let me have the joy of giving. It was apparent that this was a woman who normally was the giver. This was a woman who had become expert at doing for and putting others ahead of herself, and had forgotten how to let others do something nice for her for no particular reason. Sound familiar? Now remember, I was buying coffee for me anyway, with the coupon the coffee didn't cost me a penny. And yet the act of kindness to this woman appeared to make her month, if not her year. The joy and smile it brought to her face gave me a high that lasted for hours. Talk about a win win situation!

Again, I am not saying this to brag about how good I am, but examples from my life are handy tools to make a point. Don't fool yourself into thinking you would be more giving and loving if you had more income or more time. Set the intent and desire to be this way and you will receive the tools you need to make your desires a reality. In the process you will end up being the one that is blessed beyond belief!

P.S.
Next post I promise to tell you all about the actual massage class and the things I learned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you made it home safely and YES you are a giver. You are always so supportive and willing to give to others before taking for yourself. You are very inspiring!! OK get down from that pedastal now! See y a' (ORA)

Patty said...

I prefer to think of it as "women nurturing woman" like you nurture me all the time with your love and kind words.