Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Should we filter ALL of our relationships?......................

I just finished sending my oldest an e-mail that was a follow up to a phone conversation last night. The two of us talk about everything and anything, and we are open and honest no matter the topic or how the other might feel about things.

For example, I created some drama a couple of weeks back (see, ego is not fully in check as of yet), having to do with a paper the youngest was writing for her class. I heard the oldest questioning my reason for helping/editing the paper, and I heard her talking to me like she would one of her employees. I am not saying she said the things she said in that way, just that I heard them that way.

So, in my pouty little way, I ignored her for a couple of days (really mature aren't I?) and then when she called next and ask what was wrong I told her that regardless of how old she was I still expected her to speak to me respectfully. Of course she had no clue what I was refering to. Once I shared my opinion she saw things from my point of view and we were able to correct perceptions and move on. A good thing right, since our relationship was once again on an even keel.

After I pushed send on today's e-mail I began to think about the opinions I had expressed and the teasing I did completely confident that she would get the joke and not be upset. This reminded me of our early conversation when I got upset and she didn't have a clue. That got me to thinking about whether or not we should extend the filters we put on our conversations with friends and acquaintances to include our close, intimate relationships.

I don't think so, because I think it would stifle the opportunity for growth on both sides, which is what I believe intimate relationships exist for; growth for the people involved. Since I had a minute to write I thought I would put the question out there and see what the rest of you think about this topic. Please do share. Thanks.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Patty. I don't think we necessarily need to apply a filter to conversations with close friends/intimate relationships. And I think people generally don't. I've noticed that I'm always most straight forward and uninhibited with the people I'm closest with (and will offend them the quickest too, unfortunately). So a filter - maybe not - but I certainly want to exercise the 'think before you speak' method a bit more.. I tend to just blab out what I think and sometimes a 'pause and reflect' moment would be advisable (instead of wishing for a 'pause and rewind' button later!).

Patty said...

Ya Dee,

I can't tell you how many times I have wished my words were on the end of a fishing line so I could reel them back in and stuff them. Instead God came up with the concept of forgiveness which used to be MUCH harder for me when I was young and knew everything. I am growing and getting better at the concept.

Thanks for your input.

Maria said...

I don't filter too much, but I will refrain from politics, religion, etc, if I know that it will just lead to a row.

Patty said...

Two no-no dinner party conversations for sure Maria. For me the less I know someone the more likely I would be to filter. Having said that I should add that check out people at the grocery store would be the exception. As my OCD about people touching my food get worse I get more vocal when it happens. Quote, "I am in this SELF-BAGGING lane because I don't like people touching my food, so would you please leave it alone." Do you think I will turn into one of those parinoid old people? Who just said, "what do you mean turn into?"

The Girl Next Door said...

Hum, I think it depends on what your definition of filter is. As far as information exchanged no, I don't think there should be a filter unless it is something that would be deeply disturbing to the other person (like the true way Uncle Harold died not the water down version that was given for the kiddies ears) at this point. In some cases obviously it is based on the situation/age/etc.

However my definition of filter is more about how I speak or respond to someone. Many of us blow off the crap some stranger says to us on the bus like it is no big deal, however with people we are emotionally invested in we take simple things personally. Many people tend to speak to their loved ones in such a manner that is absolutely horriable and in fact we would talk to a stranger more kindly. I believe the opposite should be true! So in that way I think we should filter, too many people in this world treat their loved ones like thier punching bags for life and turn around and are kind to the teller at the bank who messed up their money, if that makes sense. I would like to say I learned this lesson by observing but the fact is, it was a life lesson I had to learn the hard way.

So I guess I am saying no you should not filter what you say but how you say it... treat your loved ones like you would treat a stranger. However when those times where foot goes into mouth so to speak do arise... well rise up with it and confront it. Agian, not filtering!

I am sure I made no sense! LMAO

Patty said...

I don't know if you made sense or not since I can't stop guessing how Uncle Harold really died! JK

We filtered that kind of thing regarding a cat going to a farm instead of where we really took him. My youngest found out the truth when she was 11 or 12 and still hasn't forgiven me for the whole thing.

And really... You DID make sense. Thanks for your opinion.

Anonymous said...

I too agree with the other responders, it seems the old saying "we hurt the ones we love the most" seems to apply here too. When a loved one tells us something we didn't really want to hear it seems to hurt far more than if it came from a total stranger. From a stranger I would tend to feel more anger than the hurt I would feel if my spouse said the same thing. Good topic anyway. Take care. (ORA)

Patty said...

Still the wise sage, dear ORA,

Thanks for being such a blessing in my life over all the (we're not getting old we're getting better) years!