Friday, July 11, 2008

From phone calls to miracles...................................

Before I share details, let me share a paragraph from the book The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings. It is s supplement book recommended in the New Earth book club I am attending.

Yes, there is tremendous suffering all over the world, but knowing this need not paralyze us. If we practice mindful breathing, mindful walking, mindful sitting, and working in mindfulness, we try our best to help and we can have peace in our hearts. Worrying does not accomplish anything. Even if you worry twenty times more, it will not change the situation of the world. Even though things are not as we would like, we can still be content, knowing we are trying our best and will continue to do so. If we don't know how to breathe, smile, and live every moment of our life deeply, we will never be able to help anyone. I am happy in the present moment. I do not ask for anything else.

So the past week or so my focus has been on not worrying about things, knowing they will turn out as they are intended to. That is the biggest reason I was able to come to terms with letting Fred go.

Last Sunday, (my) Mister headed up north to bring the trailer home after the youngest had been camping. He called me and told me the truck has died in the middle of the road, just past somewhere (like I know road names?). I ask him why he was calling me, "well because..." I suggested he call AAA instead and let the situation take care of itself. After hanging up I reminded myself that in the now I didn't have truck problems, I was sitting in my living room relaxing. "I am happy in the present moment. I do not ask for anything else." (my) Mister called back about fifteen minutes later and told me he wasn't sure what happen but the truck had started and he was moving again.

Last night my youngest called and said her car was stopped on the side of the road. I ask where she was, and she reported she was on the off ramp of our exit, off to the side out of traffic. RIGHT ACROSS THE ROAD FROM A GAS STATION! She reported that the "add oil" light had come on so I told her to go buy a couple of quarts and dump it in, and then went back to what I was doing. I called her twenty or so minutes later and she reported she was just starting up the car. A nice man had stopped to help her find the place in the car where the oil goes (she shouldn't be driving not knowing this), but that both he and (my) Mister had told her it wasn't an oil problem because there was oil on the dip stick. She put in a quart anyway, on faith from having seen the light flash when the car first stopped. When she got home she says, 'The car runs better than it has in weeks."

Who are we to be granted such great miracles? I have no idea. The three of us sat around last night and gave thanks for the blessings of the week (and there were plenty more than just these two) and for one another. And just think, there are still two day left of the week. Life is great indeed!

10 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

They offer "mechanics" classes at just about every Community College, they are usually part of their community education programs and only one night a week or even, as in my college, three nights in one week and that is all. You take that girl and make her go to one because the one thing EVERY woman needs to know is how to change her oil, change a tire, check spark plugs and pump gas! The thing is, even though it is NOT my cuppa to work on cars, it is interesting to find how it all works AND when I blew a tire on the freeway I was able to get the jack and other items out, set it up and start the process when someone else was kind enough to help me. BELEIVE me there is no better peice of mind then knowing if you are on a dark diserted road at 12 am you will be scared out of your goard because it IS a dark diserted road BUT you have the ability to get out of there a lot quicker then if you had no clue how to change the tire!

Ok, I am off my soap box now, I have this thing about knowing how to do the minor things.

Glad you all had a miraculous week, life is FULL of miracles if you just look for them and I am convinced if you notice the small one's the bigger one's are more forth coming! ;)

Anonymous said...

I agree - every woman should know some basics about her car. My dad made me learn how to change and check my oil, and how to change a tire. (I already knew how to pump gas - guess who had to do that for mom when we went to the store?)

You can't rely on the kindness of strangers!

PS) This was a great story - I'm going to use it as a jumping-off point for a post. You're welcome to come over and take a look.

Patty said...

I agree ladies. When I brought up the fact that she should know the basic parts of her car, the two in unison said, "I/she did on the other car." After that it was, that is why I/she has a AAA membership. They can come and fix the car or tow it for her... And they call that progress. I will pass on your wisdom to her.

Welcome Becky, I will be stopping by as soon as I have some time.

The Girl Next Door said...

AAA at 12am on a dark deserted highway could take longer to get there then if you changed the damn tire yourself! Oh and also, while Triple A is a wonderful lesson in gratitude it is NOT a lesson in empowerment, in fact it could be the opposite in certian situations! So while I WHOLE HEARTEDLY support it I would rather it be a choice I make then being "victimized" by the situation I find myself in which just depletes power. Sorry, my father was strong on his devotion that I be self sufficient in this area... can you tell!?! ROTFL

The Girl Next Door said...

Man I am not a morning person today!!! I wrote this while I was trying to wake up. sorry for the "tone" in my fogg brian, that was missing it's morning java, it sounded "funny" not like I was about to go kick someone's ass. lol Sorry if I offened, I hope you can see past the "cranky morning witch" and I promise, no more sleepy replying! LOL

Patty said...

Hey T`Girl,

I LOVE a woman that speaks her mind with confidence! NEVER apologize for that!

Having said that, my head did kinda snap back, out of the way when I read your reply, but I wasn't offended. I have just been swamped with responsibility lately and not much time to reply to comments.

Oh! And I have to add that I have full confidence that our angels would TOTALLY protect us on a dark road at Midnight, as well as any other time, turning a flat tire into miracle encounter. That being said, I DID pass on your suggestion to my youngest. It never hurts to be prepared. Were you a girl scout?

The Girl Next Door said...

LOL Still am!!!! I am a life long memeber! Maybe that is where I get my "hear me roar attitude!" ROTFL

Oh and trust in our Angels is lovely but dark crreepy crawlies are still dark creepy crawlies! LMAO Can you tell I have a um, non liking of the dark? I swear I still have a witch UNDER the bed (notice I am not refering to the one ON the bed... I like her! ROTFL) and a vampire in the closet and should I find myself in the dark somewhere far, far, faaaar away from civilization I can promise you the only thing that will get me through is prayer and faith because without it I probably would have a coronary! Honestly, knowing how to change a tire or calling AAA is pointless to me because it is more likely you will find me stomping down the street trying to stomp off my fear and get to a place where there is physical light and people who are preferably not serial killers. LOL

Patty said...

Completely pushing your buttons here T`girl, but YOU afraid of the dark? I refuse to buy that you are afraid of anything.

I used to hate being outside at night because I was afraid of aliens looking down at me. Heck, now I am trying to invite spiritual beings into my life. Do we call that growth or sillyness?

The Girl Next Door said...

LMAO... Aliens are not a prob however nasty people and cougars are! Actually... Wow, I just had an "Aha" moment! When I was a kid I was always afraid someone would try to hurt me by looking in the windows and shooting me. I know this sounds odd but my father was a cop and for some reason, or at some time, I decided someone would hurt me to hurt him and this was my fantasy of how I dealt with his occupation. However now, I just worry that I will scare the neighbors silly if they look in and see me naked or some such! LMAO Anyways, for years I was petrified of open windows at night, now I leave them open all the time btw, it was only at night and now that I think on it only at my fathers house but over the years evolved to all my residences. Then about 5 years back I realized this was silly and got over that fear however I became fearful of other things, on of them is cougars if I go out side. (remember I live in the middle of the Coastal Mountains of Oregon and they are common but almost always non-threatening) Now I was always a bit leary of nocternal animals at night, lets face it no matter what it is if it all of a sudden jumps out at you from the dark that is startling, but cougars has been my main fear since I have dealt with the other. Interesting, I am going to have to think on this I think, but for some reason now that I feel I have made that corrilation I feel lighter. It also makes me corrilate some other things but I won't bore you!

Who'd of thunk it, Oil lights and tire conversations led me to cougar fear recovery! ROTFL

Patty said...

Kind of like I had a huge fear of dead bodies after my parents died, and now I invite them into my life.

I need you to do me a favor T`girl. Get on line and look up animal totems/ couger as animal totems. I think this will help you uncover the fear behind it. The things it represents might just be the things that you are running from or feel are lacking.

I am going to look it up too.