Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Needed, but not needed...................................

I got a phone call Monday morning from the couple I was to provide labor support for. As soon as I heard her voice I ask, "Are you in labor?" Her reply, "Well, I was!" As it turns out she was at the hospital for about an hour before the baby was born. Since it was three in the morning, she was waiting to call me. I was so thrilled for them that I couldn't even be disappointed about not being there. She also told me how all the things we talked about really helped her husband be a good support for the short labor. They are such special people that she probably told me that to make me feel better, but I am claiming it as being helpful anyway. BTW, baby is healthy, and according to his mommy, "VERY hansom."

Just as well I wasn't needed at the hospital over the weekend as we have a new hospice resident that moved in on Saturday. Hippa being Hippa, let me just say that he arrived with a bad reputation. Let me also say that the man is dying, and facing a lot of regrets about choices he made in the past. If you put yourself in his place can't you see yourself acting out in one way or another?

So, if you have not done so already, stop living a life of regret before it is your too late. If you have fences to mend, get mending. If you have plans and dreams, get going on shifting them into reality. Stop thinking, "I can't," and get on with, "How?" All things ARE possible for those that truly believe.

This post is not written to brag, or get an ego rush (though ego is pretty pleased with my accomplishments), but to remind everyone to stop and step into the other person's shoes the next time someone is short with you or has an over the top reaction to something or someone. Remember that one doesn't always know the full, behind the scene story.

By reminding myself (every few seconds at first) not to take his reactions personally, and giving him unconditional positive regard, he has become calm, thankful, and expressing gratitude for his surroundings. Trust me, this was not by my doing. For the first two days I went anywhere near him I first prayed that God keep MY mouth shut and that he say the words that this man needed to hear in order to trust that we had his best interest at heart. In addition, the entire time I was with him I was keeping a running plea in my head for help from all of my (and his) angels. Now that I have learned a bit about how he likes things I am starting to trust myself to go into a conversation without so much care, and things are fine. It has been an amazing blessing to be a part of this transformation, and I am the one that is blessed.

If I don't get back to post before, have a safe, happy holiday. My oldest will be turning twenty-nine on the fourth of July. How time flies when we're having fun!

No comments: