Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Another amazing day...................................

I hope that it comes across in my posts that I don't scare easy, because really I don't. Having said that, a home care client that I picked up last week had me trembling Sunday evening when I called her to see whether or not she had decided to let me come back. It was probably all tied up in ego thinking and not wanting to be rejected. Something along those lines anyway.

She grudgingly (again, an ego thought for sure) agreed to let me come see her, so Monday, mid-morning I headed over, praying I didn't put my foot in my mouth by saying something wrong.

I went into her home, apologizing for being ten minutes late. In a deadpan voice (NOT an ego statement) she says, "I noticed," so I went on to explain that I had to get my new hospice resident settled before I could leave. She says (without a hint of humor I might add), "I was just kidding." I re-apologized and went in to wash my hands thrilled she hadn't kicked me out.

As I sat down the woman says to me, "Have you ever treated anyone that had a heart valve replaced?" Like I remember??? Praying I wasn't lying and about to turn into a pillar of salt I replied with confidence, "Oh! Yes!" She continues, "Well, tell me about it."

Remember I am already on pins and needles. You know that candy bar commercial when the guy stuffs the bar in his mouth to give himself a chance to think? That was me! It did occur to me to find out what she was really asking instead of just rushing in to talk. I sent up a quick, "shut my mouth Lord and you do the talking," and went into an explanation of no matter what one has done, after a hospital stay muscles are going to be weak and exercise will be helpful. Then I meekly inquired if she knew someone with this problem. "Yes! Me," she replied. Okay. Now what? She went on to explain that she only had 23% of her heart functioning, and her doctor said she might have to have a valve replaced.

I am not a doctor, and not about to give medical advice. I also, can't just say that and then add, "so let's get on with your exercises." Still asking for diving guidance, the words come out, "So, what does your gut tell you to do?" she said with no hesitation, "Have the surgery." "Do you trust your doctor?" "Oh yes!" She replied. I went on to tell her that what she might want to do them is get all the information she could from her doctor, make a list of pros and cons, and if she has spiritual belief and/or a spiritual support system to utilize these things to help her make her decision. After she assured me that she did have spiritual support, I found myself telling her my story of the note I wrote for the OR staff about my angels being present at my surgery and to feel free to rely on them in need be. SHE ACTUALLY SMILED AT ME, and assured me that she thought it was a great idea not a whacked out one (like I suggested she might think at the beginning of the story).

So, now we are BFFs. She told me that her grandson was coming to paint something for her and that she was making him meatloaf and pumpkin pie. We swapped recipes, and even managed to do a few exercises (I had physical therapy progress to document whether or not that was what she needed at this particular visit. JACO doesn't see trust building at documentable progress).

The best part... At the end of my visit, this woman let out a loud sign of relief and said to me, "I feel so much better after talking to you." If you re-read what I said to her, you will note that I said nothing medical, really I said nothing specific at all. What I did do was listen to her and that listening helped her to put voice to what she was feeling, and gain a small feeling of control over what was happening to her; at least for the moment.

So, the way she came across to me as harsh, was simply a cover for her fear. Once she was able to function outside of that, her true personality came through. Thanks be to God!

Oh! And I promised her I would have everyone pray for a good outcome for her. Thanks ya all!

2 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

OK we are connecting again, I am reading this book right now that I want to send to you also but at the same time I don't want to let it out of my sight because I KNOW I will be refering back to it agian and again. It is about how our spiritual/emotional crisis' corrilate to our physical crisis'it is right up your ally. When I am done I will pass it on it is seriously one of the most fasinating books I have read in a really long time, I normally am kind of touch and go with "self help" type books but this one I litterally can not put down, it is just fasinating!

Patty said...

Just send me the title and author and I will get my own copy.