Saturday, July 26, 2008

It's a rental..................................

I have a new slogan, the one above. Let me explain so you can adopt it too.

Without sharing too much information... Young (22 y/o) single mom of two (1 y/o and 3 y/o), MVA (motor vehicle accident) left her with her three lower vertebra fused (L 3,4,5), floppy feet due to nerve damage, and mostly confined to a wheel chair.

Due to a crappy role of the dice (DON'T let your car insurance lap people!), she has only been granted five PT home visits to get her up and walking again.

As her cheer coach (yours truly) was giving her a pep talk about how she (I) was confident this young woman could accomplish anything she desired to accomplish she (the young woman)looked up and said,

"I agree. After all, the wheel chair is ONLY a rental!"

Is that wonderful or what?

How many things could you apply that slogan to in your life?

Having a bad day at the office, "It's only a rental day." Hubby driving you nuts, "He's only a rental." Car cuts you off at the intersection, "Only a rental." YES! I'm talking about the attitude, not actually renting jobs or husbands (though, can you imagine???:). More of a This too shall pass kind of belief instead of taking on a problem, owning, and then allowing that problem to become a part of your identity.

If we could flow through, and with things as they arrive maybe they would pass more quickly? More of that being in the now stuff again I know. But how many times do we hang onto a hurt or a perceived wrong days, months, and even years after the actual event? If we looked at it as a rental, we might just send it back and stop paying the charges it is continuing to cost us emotionally. Think about it. You might just find you have a rental or two you're ready to return.

10 comments:

The Girl Next Door said...

Oh I like this, I am going to have to remember it! Plus the story is inspiring. NOW, is there a way to take the rental back or is it one of those lease type deals? Because I am SURE there will be days I will want to return the "rental" early! LOL

Great story and great attitude! I am going to find you a little skirt and pompoms. I am a VERY firm believer in mind over matter. Working in the medical feild I can not tell you how many times I saw someone NOT do something they they were told they could and others do something they were told they never could! Attitude pays the BIGGEST part in recovery!

Patty said...

Right on T`girl,

The best thing one can do for themselves is to stay positive and be pro-active in their recovery process.

Maria said...

I agree. The worst pain of my life has always been something that I was angry about and could not let go of.

Patty said...

I used to be the queen of hanging onto grudges Maria (I think six years is my record, set back in my early twenties). Fortunately, I have gotten a little better about forgiveness. More for my sake than theirs sometimes, but it's a start.

Anonymous said...

Attitude is everything. I've always been a positive person and sometimes I get criticized for that and I'm being told I'm too naive! But attitude is SO important. It's half the battle. Whatever the problem.
Great post!

Patty said...

Thanks Dee,

Don't let other's negitivity (critisism)stop you from a postitive attitude, EVER! Who knows, you just might be carrying them with your attitudes and beliefs even if they don't see it.

Random Musings said...

I LOVE it!!

Lena said...

I like that slogan alot! now I just have to remember to use it!!

Thanks!

Patty said...

Thanks ladies.

Anonymous said...

WOW this couldn't have come at a better time!!! My Mr. has been in a funk lately and while I seem to be the brunt of it for the life of me I can't figure out why. This is a good thing to keep in mind. I for one am always saying at work "well they rent me for 8 hours" after that I don't have to take it with me! Thanks again. (ORA)