Thursday, August 28, 2008

Recovering...............................

The same day I cleaned my house, the Chaplin from hospice came to visit our residents. He is a funny, down to Earth guy who doesn't talk religion so much as he lives it. As I was talking to him about a totally unrelated topic I heard myself saying, When someone hurts you the best thing you can do is pray for their happiness." Why did I see that dog woman's face right at that moment (along with a couple of others) I wonder? It is never about what someone has done to you (physical violence and harm to a child not included), but about how you perceive things and allow them to color your world long after the other person has moved on. So, I am better now.

And it is time to talk politics.................................

I make it a rule to not talk politics with the general public, but you guys are my trusted friends so I can make an exception to that rule. I need some help in this area.

I will confess to ALWAYS having voted democratic when it comes to president. I will also confess to wanting John Edwards to win the nomination, because I knew something about him aside from political commercials. I try and avoid the news and news paper at all cost (which is why it was almost a week before I heard about John's affair. Just like with Bill, I would rather NOT know the details of his sex life, as I am certain he could care less about mine) to keep the negativity away from me. I have a belief that most of what we hear and read as "news" is what someone has decided we need to hear at least as often as it is fully, factually the truth. I have been using the current political commercials that do reach my ears as meditation practice. When I hear one I try and instantly close my mind and go inside rather than focus on what the commercial says and my negative response to it.

Though this is working well for me, it is not doing much to prepare me to make an informed vote. Not voting is not an option for me. I take that right very serious and would never not exercise it. I was thinking if those of you out there that have made up your minds would share your thoughts with me it would help me learn about the two men as people. I know that you have been an Obama supporter from the get go Sheri, but please share your heart with me on why you are so cemented in your choice.

I did hear yesterday (On Dr. Oz) that one of his guests supports Obama because he feels his style is to bring people together to effect change instead of playing party politics. This sounds good to me, but during his campaigning I have always heard some degree of slamming his opponent.

In a perfect world I would like to vote for the guy that takes the millions of dollars spent on slandering the other guy and uses it to help those less fortunate. I would need to know nothing else about him. Since that isn't like to happen in this election I am asking all of you to let me in on you points of view. If you don't want to post about it, send me an e-mail. Thanks for your help.

11 comments:

Sheri said...

While I may be cemented in my choice Patty, I a not so eloquent when it comes to explaining it. But for you, I’ll give it a whirl. 

When I heard Barack Obama speak at the 2004 DNC I was awestruck. I heard a man who believed in hope. I heard a man who believed that America could restore it’s place in the world and in our hearts. I heard about peace, and acceptance, and HOPE. I wanted to believe that this man could change our perceptions and put America back on track.

As I researched this man, I found that he came from humble beginnings. He embodied the American dream. He believed that all our young people should have the same opportunities that he had fought so hard for. He believed that we could succeed and that it was our government’s duty to help that happen.

Throughout the primary I was struck by the family. By the way Michelle swore the girls would not be paraded around just for votes. That they would continue in school and have a “normal” a life as possible. When the family came to Fort Wayne in May and I had the opportunity to meet them I saw first hand their love for one another, the respect and the familial bond. You couldn’t stand that close to them and not feel the genuine love. You could see it the night Michelle spoke at the DNC and the girls saw their daddy on the big screen, and you could see the pride and respect Michelle has for Barack last night when he was speaking right on her face. It amazes me.

I struggle with the abortion issue. I believe abortion is wrong. . . for me. I believe woman should make better choices and explore other options. I believe my God condemns abortion ( the act, not the woman). The problem is I cannot mandate MY religious beliefs. I cannot tell a woman that MY God says no. I know that this is a sore spot for believers, but I believe that Barack’s position on the issue most closely mirrors my own, for that I am grateful. I suppose if I am wrong, that is between me and my God.

I am also certain that he will surround himself with men and women who can make his beliefs in America and his dreams for America a reality. Republicans, like Hagel or Lugar, Democrats or Independents could be a key part of his administration. He isn’t a man who would shun more intelligent, informed and capable people just because of party affiliation. That will strengthen our government and truly make it for the people and of the people.

He inspires me. He makes me want to do more for my fellow man. He makes me believe that we CAN make America better. And for that I am grateful!

Check out www.matthew25.org They are a Christian PAC that supports Obama and speaks for MY heart.

Now, I’m gonna go copy this to a post and share it with my readers today too. . .

Patty said...

I appreciate everything you shared Sheri, but I like the notion of this the best:

He isn’t a man who would shun more intelligent, informed and capable people just because of party affiliation. That will strengthen our government and truly make it for the people and of the people.

That sounds like something I would choose to do if I were ever president.

I will check out the other site. Thank you so very much for sharing your thoughts and feelings with me. I really appreciate it!

Maria said...

Um...yeah, what she said...

Patty said...

Thanks Maria. I respect and value your opinion.

Anonymous said...

Obama scares the shit out of me.

Lena said...

He said he would not rule out having dialogues with ALL leaders.

We have to figure out how to live on this planet together. We have to begin to work towards compromise. We have to have a president who wants to try.

Patty said...

Do tell me more puppet master.

I believe you are talking Obama when you use the pronoun he Lena?

"We have to have a president who wants to try" makes me want to add we have to have a president who is fearless when it comes to crossing "sacred party lines" as well as fearless when it comes to caring about image for the sake of image. I think those things would fall under the head of trying don't you?

Lena said...

Yes, I meant Obama, sorry. And you said it better than I.

Patty said...

No Lena, I just expounded on your thought. That is part of my learning style.

The Girl Next Door said...

LMAO Good question! I was in the EXACT same boat with you on the Edwards thing, personally I could give a RATS ASS about it, it is something between him and his wife. I have my theories as to why things happen and it is their problems to work out and judge as to the validity of making their marriage work from this point forward. (Many would not believe me on that point considering my circumstances I know but I don't believe affairs have anything to do with the affair itself and the fact he has been honest about it says a lot about the measure of the man in book. Shit happens... own up!)

Ok, that being said, I am confused also. In one respect I support Obama (like you always been a Dem) however, in another stance I respect John McCain, although I am just about SICK of his negative run campaign adds (I don't watch much TV and have no seen a single one of Obama's I don't think so I can not comment on the quality of his in all honesty)

All in all.... I just wanted to say "hi" and I was thinking of you. Been a bit crazy and I have sat down to write you a hundred and one times but it never seems to work out! ;)Thinking of you often- hugs- T

Patty said...

The daily schedule does make it hard to connect with e-mail doesn't it T?

Good thing we can connect on a psychic level isn't it? I have been right there in your corner and know you have also been in mine.