Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Back from vacation..............................


A wonderful time was had by all (ten of us), and I took over two hundred pictures with my new camera (NO! I do not plan to bore you with them). I actually took more like four hundred pictures, but the new digital cameras have this great little button called, "delete" to separate the chafe from the wheat. My camera is an SLR/digital so I have fun playing with shutter speeds, depth of field, all that jazz, and when it didn't work I could get rid of the evidence and start over.

And I took my knitting class. The knitting class that ended up not using knitting of any type. That what happens I guess when one is successful at staying in the now and doesn't really look into the details of her future class.

What we did was learn different techniques of felting (I knew this part, I just still envisioned some knitting taking place for some reason). At the beginning of the class everyone was given a couple bags of fiber (this is what it is called at the point of having been removed from the sheep and dyed, but not yet spun into actual knitting yarn) and told to pull out a couple of strands. Then we laid over a thick piece of decorators foam and jabbed at it with this thing that held five, long, darning type needles.

About two minutes into this I missed the foam and broke all of the needles. Felt just like I was back in grade school having to confess to having broken the only magenta crayon. Fortunately the instructor was prepared so she had extra needles.
So, I am blissing out, jabbing, layering different colors, and jabbing some more, when the instructor says to me, "So. What are you making?" What? We're suppose to be making something? I thought we were just suppose to be getting the hang of jabbing a needle into foam rubber. Since I hadn't broken any more needles I was feeling pretty good about things until she said that. I was making nothing. Of course I didn't tell her that. I told her I hadn't decided yet and then spent the rest of the class trying to make my felt into something, anything.
As I looked around the room, the other, more experienced felters were creating things like hats and scarfs. This is what I ended up with...

One more example of my uniqueness!
I loved the experience, even if I "didn't make anything" functional, or even recognizable. The fun of the moment, and the interaction with the other ladies made the day a total success for me. And who knows, one of these days I just might figure out what I made if I work at it long enough...
It could happen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unique you certainly are!

What kind of camera (I mean what model) do you have? We're just looking into buying an SLR and it's so confusing...

Patty said...

I have an ax350, by Sony. Before digital, I have always had a Minolta SLR, and I had about a thousand dollars worth of lens (if one were to replace them today). Sony bought out Minolta so the Minolta lens fit the Sony camera. From there it was a matter of how many pixels we wanted (we went with 14 over 10, because I spoil my youngest).

You can check it out at sonystyle.com (I think If not right let me know and I will look up the address)

Random Musings said...

Ummm what about a cat toy?

Patty said...

Sorry Random, the cats prefer to play with UNfelted (not so mashed together) yarn fibers.

Just wait until you see what I turned my little project into. You will be impressed I am sure.