Friday, September 05, 2008

Back to school................................

Not me, not yet, but I am thinking of buying/getting one of those Internet minister degrees to "assist" me in my pursuit of an official grief counselor certificate. Oh! And my youngest is taking a photography class for fun (and to fulfill one of her required credits) so I am unofficially taking the class with her to learn more things about my new camera. Also not what I am blogging about.

Over the summer I have gotten to know one of our neighbors that my youngest has been babysitting for for years. She has two children, one requiring about forty minutes of before school care. When she called to ask my youngest if she was available (since she leaves the house at 6:30 for work now that school has started up for her this was a no go) I convinced her it would be fine (that is no problem for me) if her daughter just came her for that short time. I was honored when she agreed.

This young lady (I don't think she would appreciate the term "little girl" anymore) is very sweet, quiet, and shy (around me anyway). The first morning she was here she comes into the room where I am and says, "which one of those clocks out there is the right time?" Poor thing! We have three clocks (wall, oven, micro) and they all had close, but different times on them. Smart woman that I am I suggested we compare the times to our computers. You guessed it, we got two different numbers there as well, proof that in this house close counts. She thought for a minute and said, "Well, eleven is in the middle of all of them so we can go with that." Smart kid!

Next day she comes in and five minutes later it begins to rain cats and dogs (wouldn't it be cool to really see that expression in action one time?). I inquired if she had brought the rain gear we had talked about the previous day. Her reply, "Sorta." What did sorta mean? "I have a sweatshirt." Nonplussed she reassured me that the rain was going to stop before she needed to leave. And you guessed it again. The rain stopped and she headed merrily off to school. That is what I consider a psychic-in-the-making.

It is good to have some young blood around here again, if only for a few minutes a day. The pets are all loving the extra attention as well. Lady luck has shined down upon us yet again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life through young fresh eyes! Good for you and for the young lady and her mom that you are so giving. Little did we know back then how much fun it could be before they headed out the door for their days of new experiences! Still on vacation here-have a great day. (ORA)

Patty said...

It is always more enjoyable when you can send them home.

Enjoy your break. I plan to make final reservations for January this weekend and then I will get the exact dates to you.

Lena said...

It must be nice for your clients to have a youngster there in the morning. You have an intergenerational program now!

Patty said...

Yes, but don't tell licensing. Apparently one can't care for both the young and the old at the same time. I am not getting paid for the one so it can't count. Right?

My assistant brings her grandkids to work with her and my OPs LOVE that, even though they get tired out sometimes just watching the little ones run all around. The circle of life is a good thing indeed.