Wednesday, September 05, 2007

My Buddy Ben....................................
I heard on the news a bit of a story about a couple of teens that were being held responsible for the worse case of animal abuse in our area's history. I say a bit of the story because after hearing a description of the first two things they did I couldn't stand to listen any longer.

We have had Ben for going on five years now. He came into our lives because his previous owner ousted him for a new puppy. We didn't get the full run down on the extent of his abuse, but there are a few things that have always made him snap, more than likely a result of the way he was mistreated.

Don't judge folks, but I feed my dogs the occasional table scrap. Not the entire meal like they would like, but a choice scrap here and there. We learned quickly that one was better off tossing the scrap to Ben; if they valued their hand that is. The description of "lunging ferociously" at a treat does not adequately describe Ben's behavior when he first came to live with us.

A couple of days ago it occurred to me that now, close to five years later, if I remember to say, "Be nice Ben," he hardly ever lunges for the scrap anymore. This made me wonder if the reason the behavior was born in the first place was because his previous owners used to taunt him with treats and then pull them out of his reach at the last second so he couldn't get it? Just typing that makes me sick to my stomach, and yes I know he is a dog, but he does have some kind of a soul, and is a living, breathing creature. That another soul could actually derive pleasure by causing deliberate him pain is a sickening thought.

What pain and suffering got those teens to the point that they got a kick out of torturing a small puppy? Did they just wake up one day and say to one another, "Hey! Let's go ______. It will be fun?" Or did they suffer personal abuse (real and/or imagined) to the point that passing it on to someone less defenseless than themselves seemed like an acceptable thing to do?

Lots of TLC, patience, and pampering has allowed Ben to recover from his early treatment, but only to an extent. I still don't let him around small children alone, and warn everyone not to try and pick him up. He still has boundaries, and he still reacts in anger/fear when certain triggers occur.

Is there hope for those teens? Can they receive enough TLC and rehabilitation to be able to re-pattern their behavior? Was the damaged caused by an irresponsible parent that abused their own body while these teens were in utero? If so, does that mean we write them off as damaged goods? Stick them into a system that isn't working, and hope for the best?

If we do, then are we any different than the teens themselves?. Is it not a form of abuse to turn ones back on a need?

Am I saying to run out and adopt these teens? Only if you are led to do so. I have learned lots about FAC (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome) from Sheri and know that the struggles can be enormous. And yet she hangs in there and keeps fighting for her son, against great odds. I also admit that I am not sure I could do what she does on a daily basis, and have a huge admiration for her strength and commitment. Maybe I am not good parent material for a special needs child, but I can pray for them. I can pray for those that step up to help troubled teens. Pray for the system that is in great need for repair. Pray that each of you reading this post will pick up the call to offer up prayer and positive thoughts that "Thy will (may)be done."

6 comments:

Sheri said...

Thanks for the kind words. Funny, when we decided to become foster parents we said we COULD NOT handle a child such as this.

God has given us the strnegth and I am blessed to have a husband who toils along side me.


I too am a HUGE dog lover and I cannot hardly fathom people who harm animals. Dustin is not kind to animals, but thankfully it is not "evil" directed at them, he simply makes foolish choices. But I am CERTAIN it stems from his abuse and his low brain function. Our dogs tolerate him. The cat on the other hand cannot stand him.

Patty said...

You're welcome Sheri. My words come from the heart. You are a great mother and wonderful person.

Daniele said...

He's adorable!!
Cruelty to animals, I can't bare to even think about it.

Patty said...

Don't ya love how he helps himself the the bed AND pillow? At other times he will lay with his head up against a corner wall for a pillow. It looks like he is punishing himself.

T-girl said...

My adopted brother had fetal alchol syndrom... was totall shit on by the system, don't get me started on that! Ironically there was something about him and torturing a cat before we got him but never and incidence after!

Sigh, as far as the animals themselves my mother and I JUST had this conversation, too many people want to treat their animals like possestions and a convience. They are living breathing beings, no matter what you want to say and yes they may be "animals" they still have boundries etc and it is completely discusting to me that people ignore this fact or treat them cruely. Makes me ill to hear stories of it to be honest they are so defensless and count on their owners so much that it is just sad to me to think of them being treated bad.

Patty said...

T-girl,

Reading your comment made me think aobut the fact that dogs have the minds/ thought process/ability of a two-year-old, and that one wouldn't treat two-year-olds like what you discribed, but then the thougth of, "Some people do just that" popped into my head, so I guess I should change wouldn't to shouldn't. Sad, sad, sad!