Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I am blessed..................................

It is always good to follow a complaining post with a gratitude post, and the last week I am encountered things that make me extremely grateful for my health. I am having an impossible time putting myself in the shoes of the people I am about to share about...

Nancy is a blogger friend that discovered a love of running in spite of it being painful for her almost from the beginning. She recently found out that her body has betrayed her with some funky OVER flexibility thing. In her own words:

I am so damn freakishly flexible that my bones rattle around in the joints and just bang the $hit out of each other. To the point of injury. This injury is usually caused by tackling or falling down, but some people that are really flexible can get it from repetitive motion.

The reality is I really am a Nonrunner. My body was never made for running. I have too much flexibility, not enough control and my bones are beating up on each other simply from running.


I can remember the freak-out I had at the thought of missing one race when I fractured my wrist. I can't imagine how I would feel being told I had to hang up my running shoes in order to save my bones.

Last night I was with a woman who has ALS. While I was visiting she received a return phone call about getting a machine that would talk for her once the time comes that her muscles deteriorate to the point that she is no longer able speak on her own. Imagine dealing with that notion. How does one even begin to get their mind around the fact that your muscles will slowly deteriorate until you are paralyzed, one body part at a time? And, as of yet their is no cure, nothing one can do to prevent it from happening.

My last example is about a woman who was diagnosed with breast cancer just before Christmas. She has already had surgery to remove the mass and is in the middle of chemo treatments. Yesterday she went to the area cancer center for a "make over." She was expecting a talk about makeup and being pampered with someone doing her makeup for her. What happen was she got (a very beneficial) talk about how to prevent infection when applying makeup because once on Chemo one has no ability what so ever to fight infections of any kind. In addition to the lecture she got the (dis) pleasure of sitting by two very scared, very angry women. One of them was there for her second go round with cancer and felt the need to tell everyone around her that "just when you think you are cured it comes back."

So here is this woman, full of hope and feeling in control of her personal situation, thinking that she is going in to be pampered and get her mind off her disease for a while, to instead have the full reality of it smashed in her face. What would you do? I imagine the least I would do is to tell the woman to shut the ___ up. This woman said she wanted to tell those woman that dealing with cancer was not the worst thing in the world. How did she know that? Because several years ago she lost a child and losing a child is far worse than losing a breast, and/or fighting for your own life. She went on to say that she chose to be quiet out of respect for their feelings. That folks is a fine example of grace!

So what do I do? I run. I run to help myself buy into the idea that I can outrun my family history of cancer, stroke, and heart attack. I run to convince myself that it is possible to live life as a healthy old person instead of a frail old person. I run because it relieves my stress and they say that stress is the number one cause of disease.

I run.

Because I can.

6 comments:

Random Musings said...

Well said Patty...

I have to learn to run again.. I loved it.. and then life got in the way..

Patty said...

Life continues to get in the way of many things I desire to do. I think the people I talked about in this post are sometimes sent to me to remind me of the time I am not focusing on important things. I am currently trying to restructure some things so I can use that time for things I "know" I am suppose to be doing.

You will get back to running when it is the right time for you. Just remember it is done I step at a time, and doesn't have to be hard.

Lena said...

Great Post, Patty. I really enjoyed reading it.

There are so many people whose daily struggles are more than I can imagine.

Patty said...

That belief Lena is a big part of what makes you you. That is why you are kind, caring, understanding. Because you get how blessed you are and that helping another doesn't take away from yourself but actually gives you something in return.

Nancy said...

Well, I am definitely a firm believer in that you should run if you can. And you should relish every step. I know you already do. Thanks for this post and for your continued support.

XOXO

Patty said...

Hey Nancy,

I just got a BOSU balance trainer and am amazed at how bad I am on it considering "what good shape I am in!" After your surgery and you are all healed you should try one out. Just standing on it is a good hip flexor work out and there is no bouncing or jarring to mess with the bones.