Saturday, January 10, 2009

I have been training again. Next weekend we (my youngest and I) are planning to do a 15 mile trail race that begins at six in the evening. Last year it was about eight degrees out when the race started. If the fifteen miles go well we are going to do the full 26.2 in Tampa (where it will be MUCH warmer than eight degrees I hope) on March first.

Today there are plans for an eleven mile run. I am very grateful that we only got a few inches of snow rather than the massive amounts predicted. Now if the wind cooperates it will be a good time.

I mention the running because some of my best ever ideas form into consciousness during my long runs. It is either that what they say about exercise endorphins is correct, or simply that besides sleeping, my runs are the only times when someone isn't interrupting my thoughts every few minutes needing something from me.

But anyway, a day or so ago, around mile four or five, the question came into my mind as to whether or not I was happily married. As I pondered this notion I decided that no I was not happily married. I was much more than that. (Had you scared for a minute didn't I?)

I am not happily married because I determined years ago (and discussed the fact) that my partner was not responsible for my happiness. That was my job. And I have reached a place of personal happiness even when things are not necessarily running smoothly. Happiness is a choice of how I perceive events as they pass through my life. It really is that simple.

Back to my marriage... Out there on the cold snow covered roads I decided that I was contentedly married. A few posts ago on her blog Maria had a question about dating services on the web, and in that context wrote:

And while I will never use it, being happily married and all that (well, lately...okay..we have been treading water, but the vibe will return, it always does)...

That sums up perfectly my idea of being contentedly married. Are there days when I want to strangle/stab/suffocate (and that is just the S words that came to mind) (my) Mister? Sometimes it seems like weeks on end that the man irritates the _____ out of me. We could communicate (W-A-Y) better about certain things. I would give most anything if he listened to what I was saying rather than what I was saying (and you guys out there don't worry; I know that that last sentence won't make any sense to you). But even on our worst days together I have no thoughts of wanting to be in a different relationship. To a great degree this goes back to the notion that my happiness is not my partners responsibility. As I ride the wave of emotions that are part of any relationship I am in charge of how I view things. Maybe it was (my) Mister that didn't do something I ask him to do, but it is up to me to decide if it means the sky is falling or the world is ending. If I determine it is then it becomes my responsibility to fix and or change my perception of the problem and move forward in the relationship.

That sounds pretty great on paper. I guess we will just have to wait and see how I do the next time (my) Mister commits an infraction. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Lena said...

Great post! So true on all accounts. Good luck with your race!

The Girl Next Door said...

You know just thinking about your running makes ME tired! I am trying to get back in shape and run... only one problem... I hate to breath hard! I know, isn't that stupid? I don't get it but that lung burn, I hate it... which leads me into this post about prespective...

lately, I have had a lot of things on my mind with the new relationship. What is funny is just when I think "this is going no where" something comes along and quite litterally says "PERSPECTIVE" and when I say quite litterally... I mean quite blatantly litterally. The other day I was at the "spirit" store and I drew a card that said quite litterally "perspective!" LOL That was it, just that, then I got into the book that when with the cards and went, "yeah I know this." The other thing that keeps popping into my mind is about something Angela told me about just enjoying what is.

I don't know, eitherway I am going through some transformation right now and I am not even sure what it is, I just know I am super ansty and impatient and just want to get on with it and for some reason I am being told from every angle to change my perspective, which to me feels like "slow down it will come!" Sigh... Calgon take me away! LMAO

Patty said...

Thanks Lena...

I simply hate it T~girl when I already know what I need to do, try and ignore it, only to have it turn up at every corner until I give up and surrender to the inevitable.

Hey, Surrender might be a good word for you to meditate on along with perspective. JK!

You will get there girl, I know you will.

Maria said...

I think that people get in trouble when they sit around thinking that marriage either is supposed to be effortless or a constant bit of work.

It is right smack dab in the center. You have to work at it, but not every single second.

Patty said...

Yah, Maria, it's that balance thing again. All things are better when we can stay within the grey area. I work hard to be grey intead of black or white on many issues!